Copy is important – extremely important. It is a company’s voice and often the only opportunity to engage with consumers on a one-to-one level. It’s where the relationship with the customer begins. And where it potentially could end.
It needs to inform and communicate on a literal level while engaging and connecting on an emotional one.
If copy is poor – even merely good – consumers move on to the brand that speaks to them. To keep them with you, your copy needs to be awesome. Not good. Awesome.
This is serious stuff. You better pay attention.
Now, of course, you could write it yourself. Ouch. Or you may be brilliant. Either way - do you really want to be up at three in the morning, jacked-up on old coffee, praying to every deity you can summon that you will deliver the content – which is already ten days late – so the new site can launch on time?
No. You don’t.
And you don’t want your creative director doing it either. He needs to be up all night with the graphic designer.
So you need a copywriter, but you don’t know this person who claims they can write. They may not get your voice. They may not understand product and technologies. They may be difficult to communicate with. They may be bad at what they do.
And now you’re up at three AM – again – wondering where to find this perfect partner.
It’s a nightmare. But there are ways to ease your worried mind and find your awesome writer/partner/storyteller.
Start with number one. Visit the writer’s website. Look at their work. Find the clients. Find out what the clients have to say.
Look for stuff like:
- “Mike is able to capture the brand’s voice and engage our consumer. His work is fun, spirited and smart, while still maintaining the technical stories and messaging. He’s fantastic to work with, and regularly completes projects ahead of deadline, and with minimal drafts. I love working with him and highly recommend his creativity and professionalism to anyone needing some wicked good copy.” - Amy Crawford/KEEN Footwear
- “Mike's our marketing department's secret weapon. What first drew me is Mike's writing style and ability: modern, professional and infectious. What kept me going back to Mike was his professionalism. Thanks to Mike, we saw increased open rates, conversions and leads...really, name the metric and Mike's work improved and energized it.” - Ben Stephenson/Ellie Mae
- “Mike is a natural gear hound and knows both the function and the feeling of whatever product area he is writing about. He is witty, unafraid to take a risk, and yet he communicates clearly in his writing.” - Sally McCoy/CamelBak
- “Mike took the time to understand our business and to come up with highly original ideas on how to present our brand and help sell more product. We wound up collaborating on a super fun project that was a treat to work on. Mike delivers brain candy for your brand.” - Greg Foweraker/Innate
Wow. But there's more...
- “Mike excelled at coming up with imaginative and inspiring ideas for promoting and marketing our brand — SNEWS. He put into play organization and structure around our marketing strategies that proved very, very useful.” - Michael Hodgson/SNEWS
- “Mike is creative, has very high integrity, and can relate to many people, places, and ideas.” - Shannon Walton/Schoeller Textiles
- “He really understood the Outdoor community, the benefits of a particular product feature/upgrade and how to communicate those benefits in a meaningful way.” - Kelley McGrath/Sierra Designs
- “Mike writes copy that’s smart, engaging and edgy–but that never sounds like marketing spin. He’s a rockstar writer with zero attitude and that’s huge in my book. I highly recommend him.” - Stephanie Lepow/Ellie Mae
Coincidentally, all of these glowing reviews are for a guy named "Mike" - Wicked Good Copy & Communications’ Mike Mooers. Why? Because he wrote this release so you’d hire him.
Which means it really isn’t a coincidence. It’s just smart.
Wicked Good Copy & Communications: ready to work with you if you’re ready to be awesome.
About Wicked Good Copy & Communications: Based in the Sierra Foothills town of Nevada City, CA, Wicked Good Copy & Communications has been delivering brand-crafted copy for a variety of clients, including KEEN, Gaiam, Discovery Communications and Mountain Hardwear. Mike Mooers, the company's founder and creative force, has a proven two-decade background in marketing communications. He founded Wicked Good Copy & Communications in 2010. Facebook Wicked Good, Contact Wicked Good: firstname.lastname@example.org