Keep up with all the important outdoor news by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make a trade mission to China: SIA invites any supplier, resort, retailer or other business interested in doing business in China to join them on a trade mission in March to learn how to succeed there.
- Darby Comm announces its Stand Up Partners: Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation and the San Juan Mountains Association will receive pro-bono PR help from the boutique PR & digital marketing agency.
- Eye-opening read: Being an LGBTQ transgender thruhiker on the AT is challenging. [Outside]
- Climbers we lost in 2019: Read these heartfelt tributes to the 22 climbers who died last year, according to Rock and Ice, from a 17-year old to a 96-year old. [Rock and Ice]
- Another new REI: A 23,000-foot shop will open in Boca Raton, Florida, this fall. [The Palm Beach Post]
Backcountry partners with athlete: Backcountry announces a new partnership with Olympic silver medalist, actor, and LGBTQ+ advocate Gus Kenworthy. This is the company’s first athlete partnership Backcountry. Kenworthy emerged from the Sochi 2018 Winter Games as an inspirational figure after adopting five stray dogs in Russia.
- Columbia hires Mickey Mouse: The apparel company is partnering with Disney on a clothing line, complete with mouse ears.
- New hire at Snow Peak: Jason McGibbon, formerly with Yakima, signs on as chief revenue officer.
- Two new B-Corps: Congrats to Snaplinc Consulting and Oneseed Expeditions for earning B-Corp certification, no small task.
- New leadership at Backbone: Congrats to Melissa Atwood, the new managing director of the PR firm’s Denver office.
- Kelly Kraus is back at Cascade Designs: She began her career there about 35 years ago as a sales rep, then moved up through the company to director of sales, before pursuing other opportunities. Now she’s back, to serve as a board member.