Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? We've created a new form where you can submit tips and story ideas.
- Camber Outdoors has announced its expert panel of judges for Pitchfest 2018. They are Susan Viscon, senior VP of merchandising and private brands at REI Co-op; Diana Seung, executive VP of merchandising at Backcountry.com; Steve Meineke, former CEO of KEEN Footwear and Raleigh Cycle, now investor and advisor; and Dan Nordstrom, co-founder of Roundhouse Collective and CEO emeritus of Outdoor Research. Now, read about the Pitchfest finalists here.
- About 60 large wildfires are burning across the West, including nine in New Mexico and six each in Utah and California. One fire in Colorado burned down more than 100 homes.
- Amid months of ethics and legal controversies, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt has resigned.
- Double digits! Breckenridge, Colorado-based Rocky Mountain Underground is celebrating its 10th anniversary this summer. The store is offering a limited run of the Rippah skis, the first ski it ever produced, while bringing back the very first graphic RMU ever designed to go with them for a special.
- Studying a rock climbing route takes on a whole new meaning with this new type of technology. Brian Uyeno's project Climb Assist—currently a website, and hopefully an app—allows climbers to inspect routes with impressive detail and accuracy.
- This California kid has some big things ahead of him. Tigran Nahabedian, 13, of Ojai, is the first Buddy Bison Student Ambassador for the nonprofit National Park Trust. He has participated in more than 90 NPS Junior Ranger programs, including becoming the first Junior Ranger Underwater Explorer at Channel Islands National Park in his home state. And in his free time, he's visiting sites in an effort to help fix longstanding maintenance issues throughout the park system.
- The Utah Office of Outdoor Recreation is hosting a summit from Sept. 4 to 6 in celebration of its fifth year anniversary. The theme, Think Outside, provides attendees opportunities to choose from more than 10 outdoor recreation activities, get inspired by more than 40 speakers, and participate in workshops from five tracks tailored to Utah business, health, planning, policy, and tourism. Register here.
- Outdoor Retailer named Lisa Ramsperger public relations manager. She brings nearly twenty years of public relations experience in a wide range of sports and events, working with iconic brands and teams, including the Houston Astros, U.S. Olympic Committee, Volvo Ocean Race, America's Cup, and Amgen Tour of California.