Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? We've created a new form where you can submit tips and story ideas.
- Want to know what's cookin' at the Grassroots Connect Show? Our editor-in-chief, Kristin Hostetter, is reporting live from her own booth. Follow her story on Instagram to get a peek inside, from hugs with familiar faces to happy hour fun.
- The results are in. Grassroots Outdoor Alliance announced the winners of its annual awards during the first night of the show. Winners include Sunlight Sports in Wyoming, Townsend Bertram & Co. in North Carolina, and NEMO Equipment. Read on for the full list of winners.
- Hey, vanlifers. Today in the Teton Valley, dozens of vans and their owners will meet up for the first vanlife gathering in the area, organized by Vanlife Diaries + The Van Project. The meetup kicks off a whole slew of events scheduled for this summer in Colorado, New Mexico, and North Carolina. Even those without a van are welcome to join the party.
- A prom proposal that went too far: National Park Service rangers are looking for the person who spray painted on rocks at Colorado National Monument outside of Grand Junction. Unfortunately, graffiti has been a problem in national parks for a long time.
- The Alex Honnold of raccoons: A female raccoon climbed more than 20 stories of a building in St. Paul, Minnesota, earlier this week and mesmerized onlookers as well as people following the story online. NPR reported that, "the raccoon had reached the roof overnight, grabbed a snack of soft cat food and found herself trapped in one of the cages laid out for her there."
- BACKPACKER Magazine took home the 2018 IMAG award in the events category for the Get Out More Tour, which has been running for nearly two decades. Congrats, friends!
- Eddie Bauer has named Damien Huang as president. He was most recently Eddie Bauer’s senior VP of merchandising & design. The brand also announced that Mike Africa has been named VP of commerce, having responsibility for both the retail and e-commerce businesses. In related news, Eddie Bauer and Pacific Sunwear of California merged.
- Mammut has teamed up with OutsidePR, the San Francisco-based public relations and sports marketing agency that will now lead media outreach and execute the brand's North American media relations strategy.
- Cotopaxi hired Heath Christensen as their new director of wholesale. Prior to his appointment, Christensen spent a decade at Black Diamond as sales operations manager, and later, as director of North American sales, and also as the sport division manager at Petzl.
- And lastly, we love this interview with Nicole Brown, a Merrell ambassador and founder of Women Who Hike. She talks about community and females uniting on social media.