Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? We've created a new form where you can submit tips and story ideas.
- The Nepal climbing and trekking community is mourning the loss of Sherap Jangbu Sherpa, who passed away from a stroke last weekend. Sherap was the warm, kind-hearted owner of Panorama Lodge in Namche Bazar in the Khumbu Valley, who welcomed so many to his beautiful teahouse during their adventures. Melissa Arnot Reid, who called Sherap her Sherpa father, and recently posted on Instagram, “He taught me things about the culture that aren’t written down and he shared his family generously with me so I always felt at home…he was at the front of all my experiences in Nepal.” Rest in peace, Sherap, and our heartfelt condolences go out to his family.
- We love when brands do good. Mountain Safety Research (MSR) just launched the MSR Impact Project to advance the company’s work in global health. The new nonprofit fund will accelerate access to safe water and hygiene for people in need, advancing global health and improving quality of life around the world.
- Oregon just hired one of Outdoor Industry Assocation's own. At the end of this month, Cailin O'Brien-Feeney will leave his post as OIA's state and local manager to lead Oregon's new Office of Outdoor Recreation. We walked across the street to the OIA offices in Boulder to catch up with him.
- We're keeping an eye on the fires near Durango, Colorado, and we talked to some of the outdoor businesses who call the city home. Because of the fire danger, San Juan and Santa Fe national forests closed pending rain.
- It's official. Last month, we reported that Eddie Bauer and Pacific Sunwear of California might merge. Now they have. Golden Gate Capital announced that the company has established a new operating company, PSEB Group, composed of the two companies.
- Vasque footwear announced its Domestic Sales Agency of the Year and Global Distributor of the Year: Outdoor Sports Marketing and China-based Shenzhen Himalaya Trading Co., respectively. Congrats!
Lots of job news worth noting:
- Chums, and sister brand Beyond Coastal, promoted Andrew Bergquist to West Coast Sales Manager. He was previously head of customer service.
- Seattle Manufacturing Corporation (SMC) recently appointed Evan Wert as global director of sales and marketing. Wert is charged with bolstering the brand image and sales channel direction, as SMC enters a new era of design and development of premium gear for the Mountaineering and Rescue markets.
- Granite Gear hired Benjamin Landry as the company’s new design and development Manager. Joining the company with a portfolio of industrial design experience in soft goods, Landry will spearhead the design team as they continue to refine and evolve the identity of Granite Gear.