Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at email@example.com
- Hear renowned photographer and filmmaker Jimmy Chin talk to Outdoor Industry Association's Deborah Williams about filming "Free Solo." He's candid, eloquent, and honest. He also talks public lands and #VoteTheOutdoors. We can't get enough of this film. Can you?
- Katmai National Park crowned the winner of it's fifth annual Fat Bear Week. Bear 409 Beadnose took home the cake for being the fattest bear in the park.
- In 11 stores across the country on Oct. 27, REI Co-op members and shoppers can swag their used gear items with other people who love the outdoors. This year, REI expanded efforts from last year's six swaps. Here are the 11 locations. And read more about retailers' views on selling used gear and offering rentals.
- Grassroots Outdoor Alliance has grown to 70 retailers and 69 vendors after adding Farm to Feet, Sierra Designs, KAVU, and Rab this week.
- Age is only a number! A 91-year-old Florida man became the first person to summit Devils Tower in Wyoming a few weeks ago.
- The National Parks Foundation welcomed Robert Mathias as the new chief of external affairs, overseeing marketing, comms, and governmental affairs. Previously, he served as Ogilvy PR North America CEO.
- LifeStraw is expanding its Give Back Program to Chiapas, Mexico. This week, the company delivered LifeStraw Community purifiers to rural communities providing access to safe drinking water for over 2,546 school children. Currently, LifeStraw is supporting more than one million kids in 1,621 schools worldwide, where 10,677 purifiers are installed and over 10,000 follow up visits have taken place, continuing monthly.
- BlackStrap, maker of facemasks and other winter sports accessories, claimed a 25,000-square-foot-building as its new headquarters, just east of downtown Bend, Oregon. As part of its expansion, the brand also added new staff and is up to 1,000 retailers nationwide.