Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Decathlon was serious about launching in the U.S. The French sporting goods retailer today announced plans to open a 47,000-square-foot former Toys R Us site—six times the size of the first "lab store" in San Francisco—in Emeryville, California. The store selling gear for more than 100 sports is scheduled to open next spring. “Through this fun, interactive retail center, we are working to build a community around Decathlon in the Bay Area, similar to what we’ve accomplished abroad," Decathlon USA’s CEO Michel d'Humières said in a press release. Additionally, a full range of products are now available online to everyone in the U.S.
- President Donald Trump's nomination for National Park Service superintendent could be a win. Raymond David Vela would be the first Latino leader of the NPS, plus he has history working to diversify national parks. We'll see if Congress signs off on the choice.
- To honor the wildland firefighters protecting homes, lands, and livelihoods from raging fires, Backcountry.com donated $10,000 of its Labor Day proceeds toward the Wildland Firefighter Foundation. Read the firefighters' stories here.
- Vista Outdoor finalized the divestiture from eyewear brands Bollé, Cébé, and Serengeti. Vista's net proceeds from the sale were approximately $154 million. In July, the company announced it had entered into a definitive agreement to sell the eyewear brands to an entity controlled by a significant European private equity fund.
- Leaf peeping has begun in Colorado. This year, Afield Trails’ Afield Rocky Mountain app makes it easy to chase fall color in Rocky Mountain National Park. “The park map shows the forests of the park, including the stands of aspen. Most of the year, they are shown in a similar green to the pine forests. However, for September and October, we’re turning them golden,” said Patrick Lacz, founder of Afield Trails.
- Cotopaxi is looking for a CFO, according to a post by Founder Davis Smith. He's looking for someone with experience in finance, an FP&A function, and inventory-based business in retail, apparel, or consumer-related industries.
- And finally, Mountain Khakis' new president Jeremy Hale shares with us emerging trends that excite him, how he'll bridge his experience in the action sports market with the heritage mountain brand, and his loyalty to the brand's Chinos.