The 2013 Women’s Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report recaps women-specific spending and participation trends last season
SnowSports Industries America (SIA), the snow sports industry’s member-owned trade association,today released the 2013 Women’s Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report a supplement to the full Market Intelligence Report. Women are critical to the snow sports market for their $1B in purchases of women’s-specific gear and for their influence over family purchases and activities. This report goes into detail on the women’s market and the ups and downs of the 2012/2013 season.
Select Highlights from 2012/2013:
- Women spent 59 percent of their snow sports dollars on apparel.
- Alpine ski brought out the most women to the mountain with 3.3M participants.
- Sixty percent of female snowboarders are between 16 and 34.
- Women’s cross-country equipment had a boost of 8 percent in sales to $5M.
- Consistent with backcountry trends, women’s alpine/AT boot sales were up 193 percent in units and 217 percent in dollars.
The Women’s Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report is a key information resource for suppliers, retailers, reps, entrepreneurs, financial analysts and students. It gives suppliers, reps, and retailers a comprehensive view of the women’s snow sports market and a detailed view of each category and market channel in order to compare pricing, retail margins, unit and dollar volume by channel, regional sales, inventories and market penetration.
Snow sports entrepreneurs find the report particularly useful when developing business plans. All snow sports businesses may use the report to provide a backdrop on the industry when seeking initial or additional financing. Students have also used this report extensively for various reports and projects in their business, social science and a variety of other class projects.
The 2013 Women’s Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report is available at no cost to SIA Members and $425 to non-members. Stay tuned for the Youth Market Intelligence Report. For more information on the industry as a whole, be sure to get a copy of the full SIA Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report.
SIA illustrates the industry’s 2012/13 ups and downs with an entertaining and informative video summary of the snow sports market. Don’t miss the State of the Industry Video.
To receive a copy of this year’s report or for more information about snow sports retail sales information and other SIA research products including the State of the Industry Videos, Snow Sports Participation Study, Revisiting Growing the Snow Sports Industry and more, contact Kelly Davis, SIA's director of research, at KDavis@snowsports.org or by phone at 703-506-4224.
- SIA - SnowSports Industries America (SIA) is a non-profit member-owned trade association that works year-round with North American snow sports suppliers, retailers, reports, reps and service providers to develop products and programs that support their individual and collective business needs. With member support and industry participation, SIA annually hosts the industry’s largest core winter sports trade show, the SIA Snow Show, along with the On-Snow Demo/Ski-Ride Fest and the Sourcing Snow supplier show. SIA also helps retailers and resorts connect with snow sports participants around the country through Snowlink.com. Learn more at Snowsports.org.