New OR collection headlined by proprietary air permeable AscentShell technology, tech benefits in everyday guise.
SEATTLE, Wash. – ‘Innovation that Works’ is a principle that guides Outdoor Research designers whenever they create new products, and the Spring 2016 line illustrates that brand pillar in action.
Examples in OR’s Spring 16 collection include: making hard shells more comfortable and breathable over a wider range of conditions; integrating higher standards of sun protection into more types of gear; and building truly technical apparel and hats that fly under the radar as great-looking, everyday clothing and accessories.
An easy-to-interpret litmus test ensures that Outdoor Research products meet the standard of ‘Innovation That Works’: Does a product work more effectively than what came before? And does it make the outdoor experience more enjoyable?
The design team at OR focused heavily on the following themes as it drove innovation and progression in 87 new and updated styles in its Spring 16 collection:
- Better, not just new or different – Outdoor Research has long been a leader in the waterproof/breathable category of apparel and accessories. For Spring 16, OR’s proprietary AscentShell technology, featured in the all-new Precipice Jacket, adds air permeability to the mix in a waterproof/breathable laminated shell. The result is Outdoor Research’s most breathable shell option yet, and a technology that adds durability in the category of air-permeable waterproof jackets for hard-and-fast efforts.
- Women’s on the Rise – In recent years, and continuing with the Spring 2016 line, Outdoor Research has increased its commitment to women’s styles. This season, OR introduces 22 new women’s specific sportswear styles, including a wide range of tanks, dresses and bottoms that offer the perfect blend of performance and style.
- Hat Revolution –For three decades, staying atop the ever-evolving hat category has meant continuing to increase OR’s commitment to innovating with new concepts and technologies, keeping a steady hand on emerging style trends, and applying dedication to product development. The brand reinforced that position this season by adding new styles that focus on natural performance fibers, including comfortable and breathable cotton, papyrus, and lightweight paper straw.
- Made in the Shade – Awareness of the need for sun protection continues to rise, and demand for UPF-rated products in silhouettes that don’t look technical continues to grow. For Spring 16, Outdoor Research has integrated UPF-rated fabrics across an even wider range of apparel and accessories – ones that don’t compromise on style.
- Real Gear For Real People – It was a singular focus that put Outdoor Research on the map by building a better gaiter back when the company was founded in 1981. In Spring 16, OR applies that same dedication to a full range of accessory products – from gaiters to gear and dry products, and backpacks to bivys. The new Sensor Dry Pockets offer better features, such as the capability to work with phone cameras, a higher waterproof standard, and the ability to float if dropped in water, living up to one of Outdoor Research’s core beliefs, ‘Improve Every Day.’
“A key to our culture at Outdoor Research is to challenge ourselves every single day to find design solutions and innovation that solves problems in new and better ways” said Dan Nordstrom, CEO of Outdoor Research. “Using lots of real-world testing to verify that things do actually work better and aren’t simply ways to just use new technology provides the inspiration to constantly improve, as well as a simple way to measure whether we’ve actually done that. That ethic has directed everything we’ve done with the Spring 2016 collection.”
Outdoor Research will show its Spring 2016 collection at booth 26015 at the upcoming Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City, Aug. 5-8.
About Outdoor Research
Outdoor Research® is Designed by Adventure®. We provide Innovation and Inspiration for the Relentless Adventurer. Based in Seattle, Outdoor Research was founded in 1981. We are dedicated to building better outdoor apparel, gloves, hats and an array of other outdoor accessories informed by real-world testing. We develop innovative, functional, bomb-proof products that are beautiful in their simplicity. We strive to provide the best value to our customers, not shareholders. We are committed to our core sports: alpinism, rock and ice climbing, hiking, backpacking, paddling, trail running, and skiing and snowboarding. And we’re having fun along the way.