Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at email@example.com
- The world premiere of Teton Gravity Research's Winterland was last night in Boulder, Colorado. The theater was full and fans lined up for autographs from some of the featured athletes, like Angel Collinson and Sage Cattabriga-Alosa. Watch the trailer here and find a show near you here.
- Fat Bear Week: The grizzlies in Katmai National Park are growing wider every day. Up until Fat Bear Tuesday, the park is sharing pictures of fat bears. You can vote and the fattest bear wins. We've been keeping an eye on the gourmands with the live bear cam.
- New retailer: Mountain High Outfitters is a new store in Decatur, Georgia. In addition to adventure gear and apparel, the store will offer classes on camping and hiking skills.
- Kate's Real Food, makers of small-batch, organic energy bars, is expanding into a new production facility in Bedford, Pennsylvania. The new facility will enable Kate’s to go from producing 1 million bars to 12 million bars a year.
- Rumpl in the news: "From Kickstarter To REI: How One Brand Transitioned From Crowdfunding To Wholesale Partnerships" (Forbes)
- BACKPACKER is getting a new editor-in-chief. Shannon Davis is returning to Active Interest Media and Dennis Lewon is moving into a new role. Lewon will assume the new role of director of content across Active Interest Media's portfolio.
- Outdoor Industry Association comments on Melania Trump for visiting National Parks: “We applaud first lady Melania Trump for visiting Wyoming’s great national parks and highlighting the huge benefit getting outside has on the health and well-being of America’s children. Only 20 percent of our nation’s children go outside on a weekly basis and fewer and fewer Americans have easy access to the outdoors, it’s important to take proactive steps that will reverse this troubling trend. OIA is committed to promoting policy and community engagement efforts that will increase the number of children who make spending time outside a lifetime habit. We strongly encourage the First Lady to work with Congress to push for the enactment of key legislative initiatives such as the Outdoors for All act and Transit to Trails Act that will enable more children and families across the country to enjoy the health benefits of spending time in nature.” —Patricia Rojas-Ungar, OIA VP of government affairs
- Mammut has added three key team members to its new Denver, Colorado-based marketing and sales office, as a result of steady growth. Ben Eagleton joins Mammut to support Marketing Manager Maddie Baker as marketing coordinator. Nash Welch is the new customer service and internal sales representative. And Tiffany Fox is a new key account manager.
- T-shirt design contest: Leave No Trace is hosting a contest for the organization's membership shirts.