Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outdoor Retailer announced the finalists for the ninth annual Inspiration Awards. The Inspiration Awards recognize people who inspire others to enjoy outdoor recreation in five different categories: Individual, Manufacturer, Retailer, Nonprofit, and Youth. Winners will be announced the first night of Outdoor Retailer Summer Market.
- MSR released its 2019 Manufacturing & Social Responsibility Report. Highlights include: its Seattle Repair Shop increasingly repairs more gear than it replaces; its recycled 425 fuel canisters from various brands since mid-2018; and it has made safe drinking water a reality for more than half a million people in developing communities worldwide.
- American Don Cash died on Everest this week after collapsing while waiting in line at the iconic Hillary Step. This season has seen an influx of visitors, creating a dangerous traffic jam on the summit of the famous peak.
- Emerald Expositions announced the appointment of Brian Field as Chief Operating Officer.
- Alterra Mountain Company recently appointed new Chief Human Resources Officer, Mike Ferguson.
- Patagonia is caught in a beer debacle with Anheuser-Busch. The brewery is being sued for profiting off the company's reputation by purposely misleading beer drinkers into thinking they're buying the popular outdoor brand's beer.
- Whole Foods has become the first national grocery chain to ban the use of plastic straws. Starting in July, all of its 500 stores in the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada will be offering paper straws, with plastic straws available upon request for those with disabilities.
- Norwegian technical apparel brand Norrøna is opening its first United States brand store in Boulder, Colorado, this weekend. Norrøna, known for their sustainably made premium outdoor products, will include all of its collections, including apparel for mountaineering, hiking, hunting, mountain biking, and skiing.
- A recent report found that National Park visitor spending contributed $40 billion to the U.S. economy in 2018.
- Chaos Headwear added new members to its U.S. national sales team: the Rose Agency for the Rockies and the Lake Effect Group for the upper Midwest.