Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Here's everything you need to know about David Bernhardt, Trump's nominee for secretary of the Interior
- The EU market cut single-use plastic products to protect the environment and reduce marine litter by avoiding the emission of 3.4 million tons of CO2. And you can do this too, by signing The Plastic Impact Promise and joining the alliance of 15-plus brands to ditch single-use plastic at Outdoor Retailer.
- Colorado has a new logo. The gold represents the Eastern Plains. Red represents earth and blue stands for water, Governor Jared Polis said.
- Patagonia Provisions has a new beer. In partnership with Hopworks Urban Brewery in Portland, Patagonia released Long Root Wit, a classic Belgian-style wit beer made with organic ingredients and Kernza perennial grain. The beer will be available in 12-ounce cans in select Whole Food Markets and other independent grocers in California, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington.
- Chaco Footwear just launched its Printshop, in which customers can create custom shoes by uploading photos to be printed on the footbed and/or straps.
- The American Alpine Club (AAC) announced the recipients of the 2019 Research Grants, more than $16,000 to researchers pursuing scientific endeavors in mountain environments around the world. Read more about the recipients here.
- A bill in Oregon is aiming to make outdoor-gear startups more competitive by allowing the state's economic development agency to match loans and grants to the businesses. There are hundreds of small struggling companies out there,” says Gary Bracelin, founder of Bend Outdoor Worx, an outdoor products accelerator. Cairn is one of the program's graduates.
- REI is opening yet another store. This one will be along the banks of the Chicago River.
- A gear shop in Golden, Colorado, has opened a second location in nearby Denver. Vital Outdoors filled a space vacant since 2017.
- Osprey hired Julie Rich as vice president of people. In the newly-formed position, Rich will lead the Human Resources team, including talent management, recruiting and retention, compliance, and management development.
- MiiR named Dan Dahl as president of global sales. Formerly, Dahl served as the director of international sales at Arc’teryx, VP of heritage at Red Wing, and more recently, VP of specialty wholesale at Levi’s.