Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Heartbreaking news: A D.C. couple who was biking around the globe was killed in an attack in Tajikistan on Sunday. The two 29-year-olds—Jay Austin and Lauren Geoghegan—had quit their jobs to go on an adventure of a lifetime.
- This Saturday, BACKPACKER Magazine and Big City Mountaineers are celebrating mountains and the people who climb them with the first-ever National Summit Day. Register yourself, register a group, join a group hike, or fundraise for BCM.
- Backcountry Hunters and Anglers President Land Tawney and Patagonia Founder Yvon Chouinard, have a joint byline in a Denver Post guest commentary about how hunters and hikers can unite to protect public lands.
- All this month, Colorado Parks and Wildlife is honoring veterans and active-duty military by offering free admission to all of Colorado’s 41 state parks. Read on for how to get a pass.
- Hipcamp, the Airbnb for camping, officially launched in Oregon this week. Previously, users could only book campsites in California, Washington, Texas, New York, Hawaii, Florida, Minnesota, and Tennessee.
- Montana's OREC director is inviting Montanans to sit down and have a beer with her during multiple meet-and-greets across the state. Her goal is to talk to residents about opportunities to enhance the state's outdoor recreation industry.
- 1% for the Planet has added three new staff positions to support its mission of growing a global movement that is accelerating smart environmental giving. Allyson Bartlett will step into the position of brand manager. Ally Vitale was hired as membership manager. And Gabby Makatura joins the team as a nonprofit manager.
- Last month, SOLE returned from a week-long backpacking trip through the Pacific Northwest led by nonprofit expedition group, Big City Mountaineers. SOLE donated $10,000 to sponsor the expedition, making the company's donations to BCM $280,000 to date.
- Alterra Mountain Company named Kat Jobanputra the senior vice president of retail/rental. He has more than 30 years of experience in the resort retail/rental industry and in high-volume, multi-unit, multi-brand retail and business operations.