Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Retailer resurrection: The Stable Outdoor Outfitters in Saginaw, Michigan, closed its doors earlier this year when the owner retired after nearly half a century in business. But now, Flint-based Shumaker’s Ski & Snowboard is reopening the shop.
- Quote-worthy: "Everything man does creates more harm than good. We have to accept that fact and not delude ourselves into thinking something is sustainable. Then you can try to achieve a situation where you’re causing the least amount of harm possible. That’s the spin we put on it. It’s a never-ending summit. You’re just climbing forever. You’ll never get to the top, but it’s the journey." —Patagonia's Yvon Chouinard told Fast Company
- Boulder shooting: In a Boulder business park that's home to La Sportiva, Newton, SCARPA, and Meteorite PR, a shooting occurred on Wednesday afternoon. Police arrested former NFL lineman Justin Bannan on suspicion of shooting a woman who worked in the same building as him.
- Mountain badasses: Hilaree Nelson and Jim Morrison became the first to ski down the 28,000-foot Lhotse, the fourth highest mountain in the world. This 20-minute video documenting their journey premiered this week.
- Opinion: "It's Time To Start Closing National Parks" (Backpacker)
- National Parks: To better address overcrowding, Arches National Park is launching a study that will examine traffic and transportation solutions.
- Student designers: Utah State University outdoor product design students helped local swimwear design company Nani Swimwear develop new product concepts.
- Oboz Footwear is sponsoring the 44th Annual Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival and the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour as the festival and tour’s exclusive footwear sponsor.
- Wolverine World Wide Inc. announced the addition of veteran merchandising and branding expert Angelo Ng as the company’s first-ever chief merchant officer.
- Feetures is expanding its sales department with the promotion of Steve Hallinan to the new national sales manager of footwear specialty.