Sheboygan, WI, USA, March 14, 2014 – Wigwam is excited to announce its official sponsorship with well-known polar explorer, Eric Larsen.“When it comes to athlete sponsorships, we are not only looking for individuals that are passionate about the outdoors and love the Wigwam brand, but also people who can be a true partner” said, Natalie Stangl, Wigwam’s Brand Marketing Manager.
Polar adventurer, expedition guide, dog musher and educator, Eric Larsen has spent the past 15 years of his life traveling in some of the most remote and wild places left on earth. Some of Eric’s career highlights include:
- In 2006, Eric and Lonnie Dupre completed the first ever summer expedition to the North Pole. Eric is now one of only a few Americans in to have skied to both the North and South Poles.
- Eric led his first expedition to the South Pole in 2008, covering nearly 600 miles in 41 days. Eric is now one of only a few Americans in to have skied to both the North and South Poles.
- In November 2009, Eric returned to Antarctica for the first leg of his world record Save the Poles expedition. This time he completed a 750-mile ski traverse to the geographic South arriving on January 2, 2010.
- Two short months later he was dropped off at northern Ellesmere Island for a winter-style North Pole Journey. The international team reached the North Pole 51 days later on Earth Day - April 22, 2010.
- He completed the Save the Poles expedition by reaching the summit of Mt. Everest on October 15th, 2010 becoming the first person in history to reach the world's three 'poles' within a 365-day period.
- Eric completed all of the above wearing Wigwam socks.
Eric has been wearing Wigwam socks for years and has been an advocate for Wigwam for the last 4+ years. “First and foremost, I look for superior products that perform in the extreme environments in which I travel. Because keeping my feet warm, and equally important, comfortable is such a huge factor in my success, working with a company that makes great socks is cornerstone to my adventures. I like working with companies where we are working together and there is a real feeling of 'team work'. Of course, I also love that wigwam socks are made in the USA!” said, Larsen.
From Eric’s perspective, he is looking forward to the partnership because, “I'm not going to lie…there are few things better in the world than putting on a new pair of Wigwam socks. I do a lot of cross training, running, biking and hiking too, so, having the right socks for each of those activities is really important” said, Eric Larsen, Polar Explorer.
When you ask Eric why he loves Wigwam socks, he’ll tell you, “I love Wigwam because I love having warm feet when it's -50 degrees below zero. Wigwam socks are also really durable too. So, as much as love wearing brand new socks, most of my socks I've used for several expeditions. I'm also from Wisconsin which is where Wigwam socks are made so it's nice to have the home team advantage”.
In March 2014, Eric and Ryan Waters, will traverse the Arctic Ocean from Northern Ellesmere Island to the geographic North Pole. The team hopes to cover the nearly 500-mile distance in less than 49 days; in doing so, they would break the current 'unsupported' expedition speed record set by a Norwegian team in 2006.
To follow Eric on his adventures go to www.ericlarsenexplore.com or follow him on social media at @ELexplore
About Wigwam: Wigwam is a family owned and operated sock manufacturer that has been manufacturing performance socks in Sheboygan, WI, USA since 1905. This past January marked 109 years in business for Wigwam. For more information on Wigwam, go to www.wigwam.com or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/wigwamsocks and Twitter at www.twitter.com/wigwamsocksusa.