- Diamond Brand announced the addition Steve Floyd to the Diamond Brand team. Floyd joins Diamond Brand’s manufacturing division as vice president of operations. The hire comes on the heels of a big summer for Diamond Brand in which they signed a multi-million dollar deal to produce and supply the Soldier Crew Tent for the United States Army and extended their relationship with the Boy Scouts of America. Floyd comes to Diamond Brand from Prince Manufacturing, where he served as southeast regional general manager for nine years. Floyd is tasked with developing, improving and managing all aspects of manufacturing and operations at Diamond Brand’s 85,000-square-foot facility in Fletcher, N.C. He will have oversight of all plant functions and will report to Diamond Brand’s chief operating officer, John Delaloye.
- Sympatex Technologies announced Yasemin Tören, a specialist regarding work wear fabrics, will join the Munich-based company. The experienced textile engineer will fill the newly created position of technical sales manager, contract and workwear. In this position, she will be responsible for product management as well as expanding the business with new customers. Most recently, Tören was European sales manager in the key account management apparel sector at Bemis Associates UK. Prior that, the 33-year-old had worked for several years as senior product development associate in the area of research and development of technical textiles at W.L. Gore & Associates.
- Big Agnes, a manufacturer of sleeping bags, pads, tents and insulated apparel, announced it has hired Katie Hughes as marketing specialist and Kaitlin Cowart as graphic design assistant. Hughes, who will handle daily marketing goals and tactics, brings to her new position considerable outdoor industry experience, having worked in marketing and sales at Point6 and Smartwool. Prior to her work in the outdoor industry, Hughes worked for Colorado Group Realty, where she designed and implemented strategic marketing plans for luxury properties. Cowart brings design and agency experience to the team after working at Creative Bearings, a Steamboat Springs ad agency, as well Fort Colins-based software company i-Cubed.
- Rogers Corporation, designer and manufacturer of specialty materials including PORON XRD Extreme Impact Protection, has partnered with Backbone Media, headed up by partners Nate Simmons, Ian Anderson, Penn Newhard and Greg Williams. Backbone will manage public relations efforts for Rogers’ PORON product collection. PORON XRD Protection Technology is a multi-purpose foam designed for wearable impact protection that offers a thin and flexible alternative to traditional padding.
- Icebreaker, the New Zealand merino wool apparel company, announced that Mark Koppes has joined its team as the company’s vice president of product. Koppes is responsible for developing and directing Icebreaker’s global product design strategy, with an emphasis on design evolution. Koppes comes to Icebreaker with more than 28 years experience in retail, online and wholesale channels in the sports and outdoor industry. Most recently, Koppes was vice president merchandising and planning, at Backcountry.com, where he worked with more than 1,000 brands. Prior to that, Koppes was with Columbia Sportswear, where as vice president, apparel he was responsible for product process and managing the brand. Koppes was with Nike for 15 years previously where — in his final position as general manager apparel — he led the design, merchandising and development in both men's and women's performance apparel.
- Outdoor Sports Marketing hired three team members as the foundation of a new business structure focusing on the apparel and accessory category. Lisa Brown joins the OSM team after 14 years of buying, inventory management and merchandising at Snowshoe Mountain Resort, an Intrawest property. Todd Hancock first developed his retail skills at Great Outdoor Provision Co. before joining the sales representative side of the business for First Ascent Sales and The North Face. Jessica Primer rounds out the apparel and accessory team having honed her sales skills with Gravis, Burton Footwear and Scott in a previous career.
Have any new hire or promotion news to share? Email us and we'll get it in next week's column!