End your week with Industry Buzz. Here are today's must-read headlines:
Have a news tip? We've created a new form where you can submit tips and story ideas. We'll be checking it often to ensure we don't miss anything.
- We like to bike, so of course we like bike-friendly cities. PeopleForBikes has a new tool that scores cities on just that. Over a two-year period, the team took 184 calculations per city—based on ridership, safety, network, acceleration, and reach. “We can use the data to benchmark where cities stand today, set goals, and identify where significant improvements can be made quickly," said Jennifer Boldry, PeopleForBikes director of research.
- Congress has introduced a resolution recognizing climate change's impact on the outdoor industry. Outdoor Industry Association is working with Representatives Diana DeGette (D-CO01), Carlos Curbelo (R-FL26), Suzan DelBene (D-WA01), and Mia Love (R-UT04) to introduce it. And the association is urging you to ask your reps to co-sponsor it.
- Save the coral reefs! Hawaii passed a bill banning sunscreens with two chemicals that scientists believe contribute to coral bleaching. The sunscreen bill awaits the signature of the governor before going into effect Jan. 1, 2021.
- REI is giving away $1 million to the National Forest Foundation as part of a multi-year partnership. The donation will support 11 projects that steward national forests and grasslands, and restore access to areas damaged by natural disasters.
- It was National Small Business Week and we rounded up a few of our fave #CoolShops to give them some credit. It's not easy being a small business, but they're doing some cool things to entice customers.
- Osprey Packs this week welcomed four new team members. Chris Graham is the new vice president of innovation. Ed Gavin is the new vice president of operations. Michael Meyer is the new director of design. And Guillaume Schweitzer is the new director of production and quality control.
- Industry veteran Patrick Stratton has been named CEO of Tenkara USA, based in Boulder. Stratton has held senior management positions at some of the oldest and most recognizable outdoor brands including The North Face, REI, and Mountain Equipment Co-op, among others.
- DannyShane, the boutique cycling apparel brand, this week announced SIMBOL Communications as its PR agency of record. They join Stunt Puppy, Lizard Skins, and other outdoor brands.