Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at email@example.com
- In theaters across the country, Alex Honnold and Jimmy Chin will answer questions from the audience about the greatest climbing feat in history—Honnold's free solo of El Cap—and the documentary that captured the action—Free Solo—as part of The North Face speaker series.
- Kathmandu Holdings Limited, the New Zealand and Australia-based outdoor retailer that acquired Oboz in April, reported net profits rose 32.9 percent in the year that ended on July 31. Sales increased by 11.7 percent. Look for the retailer at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market this November.
- Sender Films and Big UP Productions revealed the four new film titles featured in the REEL ROCK 13 Film Tour: Queen Maud Land, Up to Speed, Age of Ondra, and Valley of the Moon. Read more about each film here.
- Allison Gettings has been named Vasque Footwear's new vice president and general manager of Red Wing Vasque. She started her career at Red Wing Shoe Company in product development, where she worked in the factories and sourcing materials. Most recently, she was the director of product creation for Red Wing Heritage, where she has developed brand positioning, product, marketing, and distribution strategies for men’s and women’s Heritage products. In her new role, Gettings will lead Vasque’s operations including marketing, sales, and product development.
- To enhance member experience, REI Co-op has appointed its first chief customer officer and first chief digital officer: Ben Steele and Curtis Kopf, respectively. "We're now seeing people discover the outdoors in new ways and at a pace that we've never seen before. While we often go outside to disconnect, we have also seen that technology can be a powerful enabler in helping people fall in love with the outdoors," REI CEO Jerry Stritzke said in a statement. "These new roles reflect our belief that we can inspire outdoor adventures through all touch points: in stores, through guided outdoor experiences, in local communities and via thoughtful use of technology."
- CORDURA has a fancy new website that features new interactive tools designed to help users find mills, and identify relevant fabric suppliers and sources for fabric samples. Go explore!
- The Woolmark Company has hired Backbone Media to manage its U.S. public relations activity in the sports and outdoor arena.
- DPS recently hired Louis Boudrias as part of its internal sales team expansion. Boudrias will serve as the brand’s European sales manager.