Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Everybody thinks their dog is the cutest. Now there's a judge: Merrell. The brand is looking for its first dog ambassador. Owners can enter their four-legged friends until March 16.
- Two Olympic climbing competitions? The Paris Organising Committee of the Olympic & Paralympic Games proposed making speed climbing its own competition, but combining sport climbing and bouldering for the 2024 Games.
- In downtown Denver, not far from Outdoor Retailer's new home, ice climbers gathered in a park to compete for the UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup. Watch the live stream here.
- Men's Journal named 17 of the world's most adventurous women, including snowboarder Chloe Kim and climber Sasha Digiulian.
- Gear manufacturer Ragged Mountain Equipment in Connecticut, has emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The store filed a reorganization plan last January and it was confirmed this year. Sales are soaring again after the company received an undisclosed amount of money from an anonymous duo.
- Idaho's Soldier Mountain Ski Area, once owned by actor Bruce Willis is on the market for $800,000. The current owners have made continuous improvements, but need a capital investor to elevate the resort to its fullest potential.
- After losing Arapahoe Basin, Vail Resorts is purchasing ski fields at Falls Creek Alpine Resort and Hotham Alpine Resort in Victoria, Australia, growing its global footprint. Vail could rake in about US$13 million (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization) during its first year following the acquisition.
- Colorado Ski Country USA announced the addition of Amanda Watkins as marketing director. After a long stint in the ski industry with Vail Resorts, where she worked in various marketing roles for seven years, and Copper Mountain, as a marketing and sales supervisor, Watkins joins the team after two years as the associate marketing director of Visit Denver
- New Zealand travel and adventure brand Kathmandu announced new sales representation in the Pacific Northwest, Rockies, and Southwest by The Alta Group, Urban Outdoors, and Pacific Crest Trading, respectively.