Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? We've created a new form where you can submit tips and story ideas.
- More ski resort news: Alterra Mountain Company entered into a purchase agreement with Utah's Solitude Mountain Resort. The addition which would bring the company’s total to 13 year-round mountain destinations throughout North America, including the world’s largest heli-skiing operation. Earlier this month, we reported that Vail Resorts acquired four ski areas. What does this mean in the big picture of ski resorts?
- Coffee and gear: Grand Rapids, Michigan-based Woosah Outfitters opened Outside Coffee Co. earlier this month. But it's not your typical storefront. A 1956 Dalton Travel Trailer serves coffee and is parked in a beautiful green space—with hammocks, bike racks, and a potted plant shop—attached to Woosah.
- Who says you can't work outside? Well, maybe your boss. But L.L.Bean is hoping to inspire more indoor workers to have meetings outside, go on walks, and not wait until after work and the weekends to get fresh air. The company started a tour today, showing off a modular outdoor co-working space.
- Who says you have to give up your singing aspirations to become a park ranger? This park ranger at Buffalo National River has blended her two passions by turning pop songs into conservation parodies. One of her songs about desert ecology is set to the tune of Snoop Dog's "Drop it Like it's Hot." Here's her latest.
- SALEWA, based in the South Tirolean Bolzano, won two international awards in the Equipment and Footwear categories of the OutDoor Industry Awards 2018. The Wildfire Edge earned an accolade. And the second award went to the Apex Wall, the robust mountaineering pack for ambitious alpinists.
- Nite Ize today expanded its senior management, reflecting its strong momentum over recent years, while facilitating plans for future growth. Brenda Isaac was named as vice president of marketing, Jen Bryan is now vice president of customer experience, and Dale Karacostas is now vice president of innovation.
- Arc'teryx Equipment Inc. promoted Megan Cheesbrough and George Weetman to the company's senior leadership team effective immediately. Adam Ketcheson, VP Global Marketing and B2C, will depart Arc'teryx effective earlier this month.