Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outdoor Industry Association is applauding two Congress members for introducing the Recovering America's Wildlife Act 2019: “America’s diverse and unique wildlife are not only essential to our country’s varied public lands and waters; they are a vital part of the outdoor recreation economy because Americans spend over $140 billion on wildlife-focused recreation every year supporting rural and gateway communities of every stripe. [OIA] applauds Representatives Debbie Dingell (D-MI) and Jeff Fortenberry (R-NE) for leading on this proactive effort and sponsoring the Recovering America’s Wildlife Act,” said Patricia Rojas-Ungar, vice president of government affairs for OIA.
- In recovery: Andrew "Bernie" Bernstein, the TRUE Communication account manager who was hit by a car near Boulder, posted an update on Monday. Both friends and people he'd never met reached out with touching comments.
- Cascade Designs laid off a fraction of its workforce as part of an internal restructuring and re-strategizing.
- Mystery Ranch, a brand known for hunting and hiking gear, is honing in on climbing with the launch of two packs and the sponsorship of climbing events across the U.S.
- Microplastics in our rain: A new study spotlights the amount of plastic waste in our air, water, and soil—virtually all over the Earth. A researcher observed multicolored plastic fibers, beads, and shards under a microscope while he was analyzing rainwater samples collected from the Rocky Mountains.
- Reviving the desert: Scientists are trying to reintroduce biocrusts to degraded ecosystems in the desert, where European colonization, livestock, and oil and gas developments have have wreaked the sensitive lands, according to a story in High Country News.
- New boats: Oru Kayak's new boat, the Inlet, can be folded from box to boat in under 3 minutes. Folded up, it's also only 10 inches wide and 20 pounds. Unfolded, it's 10-feet long and 31-inches wide. And Hobie's new Passport is a versatile boat with the signature MirageDrive pedal system in a highly accessible package for recreating and fishing.
- Hiker death: A 35-year-old woman died while hiking the Skyline Trail in Palm Springs, California, with temperatures as high as 125° F.
- Cusa Tea recently named Meteorite PR as its public relations firm of record as it continues to broaden its global footprint and aggressively expand its product line later this year.