(Sharon Hill, Pa.) –Nathan, the world leader in creating purposefully-designed hydration, visibility, and performance essentials, announced today the launch of a comprehensive campaign designed to drive growth of the hydration essentials category in the running specialty channel.
Entitled “How Do You Hydrate?” this integrated program provides hydration education to running specialty retailers and their customers in a fun, engaging, and memorable way.
“There are about 50 million runners in America, and only a fraction of them are running with hydration,” says Brent Hollowell, VP of marketing. “So it’s important to create messaging and tools that help retailers increase runners’ awareness and usage of hydration in order to run stronger and longer.”
Hollowell says that both Nathan’s retail customers and the brand’s retail advisory board provided feedback about what was needed for them to engage runners about the importance of hydration, and it was simple, memorable educational tools. The essence of the campaign boils down to an easy conversation starter – how do you hydrate – that enables store employees to more naturally engage their customers about hydration needs and options available.
“Running specialty stores are a tremendous resource for the community, as they remain committed to providing information, guidance, and clinics to keep runners healthy, safe, and pushing their potential,” says Hollowell. “The hydration program builds on the merchandising programs Nathan launched last year, providing a foundation of effective tools that empower retail employees to address the needs of their customers beyond apparel and shoes.”
The campaign features a number of tools and resources for retailers to use in-store and online, including:
- Hydration pocket guide for retailers and staff that includes facts and tips on proper hydration
- Consumer tri-fold brochure for in-store distribution
- Backroom posters highlighting Nathan’s “Ask>Inform>Fit” process and product recommendation chart
- A combination of product-focused and educational Facebook and Twitter graphics with recommended posts and tweets
- Nathan’s version of Quizzo, entitled “The Thirsty Games,” for stores to use with customers during pub runs and in-store clinics
- “How Do You Hydrate?” t-shirts and stickers
- 2-gallon Nathan-branded water jugs for use in-store and on fun runs
- Core product, ladies night, and pub run “tool kits” for stores, offering bundled packages on best-selling Nathan products for demos, giveaways, and prizes
- Dehydration “what color is your pee?” stickers, providing guidance on hydration needs based on urine color
- Event overview sheet, providing suggestions on how to use all of these tools and work with the store’s local Nathan rep to deliver an in-store promotional event
“There is no question that proper hydration is vital to the performance and safety of runners,” says Hollowell. “We’ve provided a lot of powerful, fun tools that help retailers explain the basics of what previously seemed a daunting topic – hydration – and we’re confident that it will produce an increase in happy customers who keep returning to their favorite shops for more information and better products.”
The campaign launches this month. Retailers will be contacted by both their local rep and through Nathan’s monthly newsletter, Nathan Says, with details on activating and asset delivery timelines. For more information, contact Ellen Cassidy at email@example.com.
Driven by a keen understanding of athlete needs, Nathan’s team of innovators sweat the details, because it’s the details that matter in every pursuit.
Nathan’s essential hydration, visibility, and performance gear for road warriors, ultrarunners, triathletes, couch to 5Kers and all dedicated athletes in between includes award-winning and best-selling hydration vests, belts, handhelds, bottles, running paks, active visibility and reflective vests, and other outdoor gear essentials, all designed for a life in motion.
Used and abused by hundreds of thousands of athletes pushing potential across the globe, with distribution in 45 countries and counting, Nathan products are available in specialty running shops, outdoor retailers, and sporting goods stores. Push potential at NathanSports.com, tweet us @NathanPerfGear, and like us on Facebook @Nathan Performance Gear.