Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at email@example.com
- Hurricane Dorian: Surf Expo cancelled the 2019 event, as well as the pre-show outdoor festival, Waterfest, set to start today at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida. The hurricane is sweeping the coast of Florida.
- National Parks closing: In advance of the storm, multiple sites in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina shuttered. The list includes Cumberland Island National Seashore off the coast of Georgia, Fort Pulaski National Monument on the Georgia-South Carolina coastline, Fort Sumter National Monument in South Carolina, and Charles Pinckney National Historic Site in South Carolina.
- Quit Your Job campaign: Native Brooklynite now living in Chicago, Lisa Marie Jackson is the third of six lucky winners who get to travel anywhere in the world, courtesy of adventure travel gear brand Eagle Creek.
- Any capital investors out there?: Gear manufacturer and retailer Ragged Mountain Equipment is looking for someone to grow the company to an eventual purchase.
- More climbing gyms: Planet Granite is building two 30,000-square-foot facilities in Santa Clara and Fountain Valley, California, as part of its spread across the West Coast.
- New gig: James Edward Mills, a freelancer and SNEWS contributor, just announced his new role as community partners liaison at the University of Wisconsin, Madison Nelson Institute For Environmental Studies.
- REI Co-op announced the appointment of two new leaders: Vivienne Long as VP of marketing and Pardis Ghorbani as VP of customer and brand shared services. Prior to joining REI, Long spent a decade at Starbucks as VP, while Ghorbani served as the interim VP of marketing and divisional VP of Brand Lab and Creative Shared Services.
- BioLite was named one of six companies on FORTUNE’s Change the World: Ones to Watch List. BioLite is being recognized for its work in emerging markets with the HomeStove and SolarHome 620, two breakthrough products designed to provide safe and affordable cooking, charging, and lighting to families living in energy poverty.
- Truewerk, the performance workwear brand tailored to modern professional trades and industrial athletes, has named rygr, an integrated marketing agency, its agency of record.