Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Outdoor Trivia Night with SNEWS and The Voice: Join us on Jan. 29 (Day 1) of Outdoor + Snow Show from 6 to 8 p.m. at Earl's Kitchen + Bar in Denver, Colorado. Find more details and RSVP here. In the meantime, brush up on your outdoor industry wisdom and take our Outdoor Industry IQ quizzes.
- Climber Malcolm Daly has worn a lot of hats: founder of Trango, co-founder of Paradox Sports, legendary retailer, (currently with Neptune Mountaineering), founding board member of Access Fund, former sales rep, and instructor in our Retail College series. But did you know about his harrowing ordeal on Alaska’s Thunder Mountain that resulted in amputation? Hear Malcolm tell his story in this riveting podcast produced by Backpacker. Listen here.
- Year in review: A big standing O for The Conservation Alliance and all the great work they did in 2019.
- A retailer refocuses: French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, is eliminating its camping, paddlesports, clothing, and fishing departments to focus instead on shooting sports.
- Free retail sales training: Check out our online courses on how to sell more packs, insulated jackets, travel underwear, sports bras, portable power, and footwear. More categories are coming soon, so stay tuned.
- Clarification about The Big Gear Show: While lifestyle apparel and footwear are not its focus, show organizer Sutton Bacon said cycling footwear and apparel vendors are welcome.
- Paddlesports news: Pelican International recently acquired all of Confluence Outdoor, the kayak and canoe maker located in Greenville, South Carolina.
- National Parks: A former astronaut wants to make Rocky Mountain National Park bigger. But first, Congress must pass legislation that allows land acquisitions by the park service.
- Western Resource Advocates announced that Kim Miller, CEO of SCARPA North America, and Jamie Starr, global director of sports marketing at The North Face, have joined WRA’s Board of Directors.
- How should uphill skiing be managed?: Take a poll by Adventure Journal.