Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at email@example.com
- Trade show implications: Now that Outdoor Retailer is down to two shows, Colorado Gov. Jared Polis was asked if taxpayers should get a refund.
- New overlanding company: Colorado's Overland Discovery has begun renting out six 4x4 Jeeps and two campervans from Denver. Each vehicle is equipped with a rooftop tent, blankets, pillows, camping chairs, a propane stove and cookware, a YETI cooler, and water.
- Bison stampede: A family in their rental vehicle got caught in a bison stampede in Yellowstone National Park last week. The video is shocking.
- How to pet a bison: Following numerous wildlife-human interactions this spring and summer, the National Park Service released a graphic with instructions for petting a bison.
- Another mountain lion attack: A cougar injured a child last week in Bailey, located southwest of Denver, Colorado. The attack marks the third in 2019 and 18th in 30 years.
- REI is opening its first store on the western coast of Florida. The 22,500-square-foot store in Tampa will replace an old Men's Wearhouse.
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics: American climber Brooke Raboutou became the first to qualify to represent Team USA in the games during the IFSC Combined World Championship.
- Mikaela Shriffin on the 2019 Colorado Classic: "There’s so many sports where the men’s events overshadow the women’s event. To make it so there is no overshadowing — to make this the highlight, to say this IS the show, I do think that makes a big difference, because people will be just as excited to watch."
- Hestra added three new hires. Drew Eakins has joined the company as its marketing manager, Josh Jacobson has been hired as the Colorado Territory Manager, and Jennifer Dickson has come on as Inventory Analyst.