Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To #OptOutside isn't enough, REI's CEO says. For the fifth time this Black Friday, REI Co-op will close all its stores, process no online payments and pay all 13,000 employees to #OptOutside with friends and family. But this year, the co-op is asking its 13,000 employees and 18 million members to join in a nationwide cleanup this November.
- POW in the news: Elected officials are talking about Protect Our Winters. Colorado state Sen. Michael Bennett on MSNBC said, "They're some of the most amazing climate advocates in the country. For them, it's not some metaphysical idea out there. It is their avocation, it is their vocation, it is their livelihood, it is their culture."
- Slope Threads, a ski apparel rental startup launched last year, will have a home base within Mountain Side Gear Rentals’ retail space in Golden, Colorado.
- Outfitter adds lodging: Wildwater in South Carolina just opened new mountain cabins and a birdhouse-inspired treehouse at its Chattooga River location. It's similar to what Escalante Outfitters in Utah does.
- Climbing Magazine launched a paywall last week through the Summit Membership. "In an era of dwindling advertiser and subscriber support for print, there is often no choice if a magazine wants to stay viable," Editor-in-chief Matt Sammet wrote.
- "Spider-Woman": Indonesian climber Aries Susanti Rahayu set a new women’s speed climbing record at 6.995 seconds—and she did it with an injured finger.
- Trash talk: Granite Gear's third class of Grounds Keepers this year removed more than 4,680 pounds of trash from trails, parks, and waterways. Since 2017, Grounds Keepers members have removed more than 9,670 pounds of trash from our public lands.
- Brothers & Company recently promoted James B. Lawson to lead the agency’s Client Service department. He also remains vice president.
- Under Armour founder Kevin Plank is stepping down as CEO, but will remain executive chairman and assume the role of "brand chief."
- Tender Corporation, owner of Adventure Medical Kits, just acquired RapidPure water purification systems, available in a range of form factors to work with water bottles, hydration packs, and gravity-style camping accessories.
- Smartwool appointed Robin Hall as director of sustainability.