Don't go a day without reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? We've created a new form where you can submit tips and story ideas.
- During a Tuesday tour of Peaceful Valley Ranch at Theadore Roosevelt National Park—a former dude ranch in disrepair that's on the National Register of Historic Places—Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke emphasized the need to address an $11.7-billion maintenance backlog at national parks. Zinke has backed the National Park Restoration Act in Congress, supporting the use of federal energy revenue to funnel up to $18 billion over the next decade into a national parks fund.
- Check it out! The Outdoor Retailer Summer Market floor plan was posted online yesterday, mapping out everyone's designated seats for the national show. Navigate your way through the three floors so you're ready to hit the floor come July.
- Neptune Mountaineering, the iconic outdoor retailer in Boulder, Colorado, will soon pop off beer and wine sales at the cafe and coffee bar—just in time for the grand reopening on June 16.
- The teen who set off fireworks and sparked a 50,000-acre fire in Washington and Oregon during fall 2017 was ordered last week to pay more than $36 million in restitution for his recklessness. The Eagle Creek Fire burned for nearly three months and forced hundreds of people to evacuate homes and businesses. More than 150 hikers were stranded near the states' border, prompting emergency and rescue operations.
- In other Washington news, a 3-year-old mountain lion attacked two cyclists, killing one in North Bend—the first cougar-related fatality in 100 years. Authorities told the Associated Press that the cat was emaciated and behaving abnormally. The cat was euthanized.
- The force is with OtterBox. The brand is releasing a special collection of phone cases that are Star Wars themed in advance of the release of Solo: A Star Wars Story. They're available now at otterbox.com for several iPhone models.
- Four customers are so upset about L.L.Bean's change to its return policy that they've taken the company to court. Read more about it.
- Outdoor Sports Marketing, a sales agency focused on the outdoor, footwear, military, and surf retail channels, has begun representing Smartwool in all Florida markets.