If you read anything today, make it Industry Buzz. Here are the latest headlines:
Do you have buzzworthy news tips? Email us at SNEWSedit@aimmedia.com.
- We have breaking specialty retailer news. Chattanooga-based Rock/Creek Outfitters was sold to Uncle Dan's Outfitters, a subsidiary of Camping World. This story is developing, and we'll keep you updated.
- Get into all National Parks for free this Saturday to kick off the start of National Park Week. To celebrate, the National Park Service is dropping entrance fees at the sites that typically charge. The theme for the week is “Park Stars,” honoring the starry skies to superstar volunteers, park features, and resources. This is a day not to miss, especially since fees will rise about $5 for entrance to most locations on June 1.
- In Georgia this week, L.L.Bean hikers started the first leg of their summer-long relay along the 2,180-mile Appalachian Trail. A total of 86 employees are trekking 10 to 20 miles each day, from Georgia to Maine, until September to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the National Trail System and inspire others to get outside.
- We love when brands do good. With more than half of Puerto Rico still without power following Hurricane Maria, MPOWERD CEO Seungah Jeong and Co-founder John Salzinger wanted to help. They have deployed more than 80,000 solar Luci lights, allowing people to start to return to normalcy.
- New hire! Paddlesports Retailer, the official national tradeshow of the paddlesports industry, announced the addition of Robin Brown to the sales team. She previously worked at America Outdoor Association.
- Seattle-based Outdoor Research has claimed more than 100,000 square feet of warehouse space in Des Moines, Washington. It's the latest Seattle company to move some operations from the city to the suburb just south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.
- GCI Outdoor, maker of portable, durable outdoor recreation equipment, is again partnering with Big City Mountaineers to provide transformational outdoor experiences for underprivileged youth. GCI is supplying chairs and cooks stations for BCM's newly-acquired Boundary Waters Basecamp property in Tower, Minnesota, where the organization is constructing its first-ever permanent campground and outdoor adventure base on 120 acres.
- We're in for a treat at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. Renowned author Timothy Egan will be the featured speaker at The Conservation Alliance Breakfast. His presentation will put the current battle over America’s public lands in historical context, tracing the path from Presidents Teddy Roosevelt to Donald Trump. The breakfast—7 to 8:50 a.m. July 24 at the Hyatt Regency, Capitol Ballroom in Denver—is open to the public.