At the annual Outdoor Retailer Summer Market in Salt Lake City, The North Face today unveiled the Ultra Protection Series, a new line of footwear designed to achieve the perfect balance between lightweight and superior protection.
Powered by an innovative suite of best-in-class footwear technologies, the Ultra Protection Series provides critical impact and motion control, as well as element protection, all while eliminating excess weight to offer unrivaled performance on any terrain. The North Face will the launch the Ultra Protection Series in stores beginning January 2014.
“For more than four decades, our brand has represented the absolute best in providing superior performance without compromising protection, and we’re constantly innovating to find new materials and new fabrication to help our athletes push themselves in the outdoors,” said Brian Moore, global vice president of footwear at The North Face. “With significant focus and an incredible investment in best-in-class technology, The Ultra Protection series now represents the first collection of footwear that provides exceptionally lightweight performance that consumers demand without having to compromise the advanced protection that they need.”
The North Face developed proprietary Ultra Airmesh, an ultralight, breathable mesh that protects from dust and debris specifically for the Ultra Protection Series. The Ultra Protection Series also features impact control provided by Pebax®, new outsoles from Vibram®, CRADLE™ Guide, FlashDry™ technology for rapid dry time and Gore-Tex® waterproof, breathable membranes protect feet from the elements in any condition.
The North Face Ultra Protection Series consist of 10 styles, including:
• Ultra Trail ($110 MSRP) is a lightweight trail runner offering performance and superior protection for the toughest trails. Ultra Trail is engineered with CRADLE™ Guide technology, and Ultra Airmesh upper, for ultralight, breathable protection from dust and debris, and a trail-specific Vibram® outsole. The Ultra Trail is available with FlashDry for rapid-drying moisture management, or a waterproof, breathable Gore-Tex® membrane. (8.7 oz.)
• Ultra Smooth ($110 MSRP) is a featherweight trainer for pavement and smooth trails, engineered with an innovative Pebax® plate for incredible energy return and injection-molded, ground-contact EVA midsole for superior energy return and a plush, smooth ride. (9.3 oz.)
• Ultra Fastpack ($120 MSRP) a run-inspired hiker built for moving light and fast, engineered with a fully breathable, minimal-weight upper, Pebax® shank for load control and energy return, and exclusive Vibram® outsole. Ultra Fastpack is available in a low and mid styles, both offered with a Gore-Tex® waterproof, breathable membrane. (10.3 oz Low, 12.7 oz. Mid)
• Ultra Hike GTX ($160 MSRP) Versatile and lightweight, this waterproof hiker features CRADLE™ Guide technology with a full length Pebax® cradle™ to provide superior protection and support for fast and light travel over challenging terrain. (14.1 oz Low, 15.6 oz. Mid)
• As part of the new Mountain Athletics collection, Ultra Kilowatt ($120 US MSRP) is the premier minimal shoe engineered to maximize performance for outdoor athlete training. An innovative Pebax® plate for high energy return, and exclusive Vibram® outsole provide lightweight support and protection without impeding natural foot movement. The low-profile upper with reinforced construction in high-wear zones enhances efficiency and durability. 9.6 oz
The North Face Mountain Athletics line, also launching in January 2014, is the next evolution of technical-training apparel and footwear designed to withstand the toughest workouts and help athletes push their limits in their outdoor sports.
“Traditional performance shoes are not designed for the kind of movement required by a Mountain Athletics workout,” said Carey Platto, product director of outdoor footwear at The North Face. “We studied how shoes broke down during workouts. We built the Ultra Kilowatt with features like arch protection for rope climbing, and a wrapped outsole for lateral movement, to make a versatile multi-sport training shoe to protect in the toughest environments.”
For more information on footwear, apparel and accessories from The North Face visit www.thenorthface.com .