FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Protect Our Winters Launches the POW Science Alliance
World Class Climate Scientists On Advisory Board
In a continuing effort to provide the most credible and updated climate information to the winter sports community, Protect Our Winters announced today that they have launched the “POW Science Alliance,” an advisory board of the most esteemed climate and snow scientists in the world, with expertise in snow hydrology, glaciology, sea level rise, mountain sustainability, and climate science communication.
The Science Alliance advisory board consists of:
- Dr, Jason Box, Professor, Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland
- Dr. Jennifer Francis, Research Professor, Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University
- Dr. Gregory Greenwood, Executive Director, Mountain Research Initiative (MRI)
- Dr. Thomas Painter, Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory/California Institute of Technology
- Dr. Tad Pfeffer, Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Institute for Arctic and Alpine Research (INSTAAR), University of Colorado at Boulder
- Dr. David Robinson, Professor, Department of Geography, Rutgers University
- Dr. Kevin Trenberth, Distinguished senior scientist in the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research.
- Dr. Jim White, Professor, Department of Geological Sciences and INSTAAR Director, University of Colorado.
The primary objective of the Science Alliance is to serve as a resource providing the most accurate and up-to-date climate and snow science information to POW and our members to create a winter sports community that’s fully informed about the science behind climate change. POW also provides these scientists with access to our enthusiastic community of snow athletes who are energized to bring awareness of climate change issues and solutions to a broad community. Prepared with first hand experience and the most accurate climate science, we will all be better equipped to fight climate change.
“We’re truly honored. POW is a young organization, but these are some of the top climate and snow scientists in the world. Just like the world-class athletes on our Riders Alliance, we’ve now got the same on our Science Alliance, to move forward and rally a community that’s fully armed with the latest climate science,” said POW’s Executive Director, Chris Steinkamp.
Protect Our Winters (POW) is the environmental center point of the winter sports community, united together towards a common goal of reducing climate change's effects on our sport and mountain economies. Founded in 2007, POW focused on youth education, advocacy and community activism. For more information, visit http://www.protectourwinters.org.
Protect Our Winters
Chris Steinkamp, Executive Director
More info: http://bit.ly/1srTy6d