18th Annual Bozeman Ice Festival, Presented by Black Diamond Equipment, Hosts Inaugural UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup This Week
Bozeman, Mont. – (Dec. 8, 2014) –The Bozeman Ice Festival (BIF), presented by Black Diamond Equipment, kicks off a weeklong celebration of ice climbing and the Hyalite tradition.
The 18th annual Bozeman Ice Festival includes the inaugural UIAA Bozeman World Cup and North American Ice Climbing Championships, a two-day film festival featuring world premier ice-climbing films, numerous climbing clinics for all skills and ability levels, parties, gear demos, raffles, a family climbing day, adaptive climbing clinic, and more.
What has evolved from locals teaching a few clinics in nearby Hyalite Canyon, BIF now includes four days of on-ice clinics by the top instructors and guides in the world, including the country’s largest women’s only clinic. Now hosting the only internationally sanctioned UIAA World Cup in North America, Bozeman has become the largest ice climbing festival in America and is at the forefront of developing an emerging Winter Olympic sport.
The World Cup climbing tower is centrally located outside the Emerson Cultural Center at the festival’s Urban Base Camp, a farmer’s market type of venue for climbing clinics, festival sponsors and local outdoor groups. Black Diamond Equipment and other sponsors will provide gear for clinics targeted to all abilities. Introductory clinics are open to the public on Friday and Saturday on a drop-in basis and cost $20 per person.
On Wednesday and Thursday, the BIF Film Festival features awe-inspiring films and a selection of multimedia presentations featuring some of the world’s top athletes and personalities. On Friday and Saturday, 50 of the world’s best competitive climbers will battle it out in a thrilling, adrenaline-packed display of Olympic-caliber completion for both competitors and spectators alike. On Sunday, the World Cup tower is open to all climbers wanting to test their mettle on the World Cup routes. These events are free to all spectators.
Schedule of Events
- WEDS DEC 10th – The North Face Speaker Series Screening of “Always Above Us” with Conrad Anker and Kris Erickson
- THURS DEC 11th – BIF Film Festival with featured presentations including: World Premier of “Rjukan; The Power of Water” featuring Ines Papert The Skater featuring Will Mayo To Live Deliberately featuring Justin Willis An American Ascent presented by Distill Productions - Q&A to follow
- FRI & SAT DEC 12 & 13th – Urban Base Camp with Introductory Ice Climbing Clinics, Gear Demos and Sponsor Expo
- FRI DEC 12th – UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup Bozeman Speed Climbing World Cup
- SAT DEC 13th – UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup Bozeman Lead Difficulty World Cup
- SUN DEC 14th – World Cup Tower Public Climbing, Eagle Mount Adaptive Ice Climbing Clinic, Local Legends Wrap Party with the Emerson Grill, and special guest Barry Blanchard reading from his new memoir, “The Calling, A life rocked by Mountains.”
All proceeds from the festival support the Friends of Hyalite, a non-profit group that helps fund winter road plowing in Hyalite Canyon for the benefit of all winter sports enthusiasts. Please visit http://www.bozemanicefest.com/pages/events for more information or to purchase tickets.
About BIF and Friends of Hyalite
The Bozeman Ice Festival (BIF) began in 1996 is dedicated to promoting and protecting the world-class ice and mixed climbing in Hyalite Canyon and also promoting Olympic- caliber competition. For more info, please visit www.bozemanicefest.com. Proceeds from BIF directly support Friends of Hyalite, a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to funding winter road plowing in Hyalite Canyon, home to the longest season of accessible ice in America. For more info, please visit www.hyalite.org.