Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Editors' Choice: BACKPACKER announced the recipients of the 2019 Editors’ Choice Snow Awards, including the Montbell Ignis Down Jacket, Smith 4D MAG, Sweet Protection Ascender MIPS, Flylow Siren Bib, MSR Lightning Ascent, and Appalachian Gear Company All-Paca Fleece Hoodie.
- Field notes: Every year JanSport hosts a group trek up Mount Rainier in Washington, a tradition started in 1972 by co-founder and avid mountaineer Skip Yowell. This July, Design Manager Ahren Bonnema along with Big City Mountaineers, Mountainfilm and Paragon Sports, were led by International Mountain Guides (IMG). Here is their account of the trip.
- "Pumpkins for Powder": LOGE Camps is hosting a grand opening of its Mt. Shasta hostel and campsite on Oct. 26 in California. The Halloween-themed celebration will include costumes, pumpkin carving, a BBQ, camp games, and the site's new cafe and taproom. The event will benefit the Mount Shasta Avalanche Center & Home of the Climbing Rangers.
- ICYMI: New Hampshire created an OREC office. “Creation of the Outdoor Industry Office was the number one recommendation of the New Hampshire caucus attending the 2018 Northern Forest Symposium in the fall of 2018. Having formal representation at the state level finally gives us outdoor recreation “kids” a seat at the adult table. I believe it will make a big difference in attracting outdoor minded folks and businesses to our great state.” —Dave Harkless, Littleton Bike & Fitness
- Free movie: DPS last week in Salt Lake City, Utah, premiered a cinematic short film "Stone's Throw" starring Dash Longe to a sold out crowd. In doing so, we raised $3,000 for Healthy Environment Alliance of Utah. Watch it now.
- GCI Outdoor this week filed a complaint for patent infringement with the U.S. International Trade Commission against six proposed respondents, including Denovo Brands, LLC, Zenithen USA LLC and Westfield Outdoor, Inc. d/b/a Westfield Outdoors.
- LEKI appointed sales rep Rick Thompson, of Rick Thompson and Associates, to cover the Upper Midwest trekking and outdoor retail territory, effective immediately. Specifically, Thompson will be responsible for Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska and Missouri.
- Hydro Flask recently hired Dena Blevins as creative director. Blevins comes to Hydro Flask following a decade-long career at Starbucks Coffee Company, where she most recently served as creative director, global promotions & brand.