Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- David Lama, Jess Roskelley, and Hansjörg Auer—three renowned alpinists—are presumed dead after an avalanche swept over them in Canada. As of now, there has been no official confirmation of their deaths.
- North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper made a stop at the Nantahala Outdoor Center and touted the state's tourism and recreation opportunities. “You can have outdoor experiences in Western North Carolina like no other place," he told Smoky Mountain News.
- KEEN's Uneekbot—the "World's Smallest Shoe Factory"—visited students at Utah State University this week. The robot builds Uneek sandals in real time. These students are leading the next generation of outdoor gear makers. Read about some of them here.
- Mark your calendars: The Outdoor Industry Association Breakfast at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market was announced. Keynote speaker Afdhel Aziz will present on how Good is the New Cool.
- Pocket Outdoor Media recently added six of the endurance sports industry's best salespeople to its sales staff for VeloNews, Bicycle Retailer & Industry News, Triathlete, PodiumRunner, and Women's Running. They're named in this story.
- Traveling out of the country anytime soon? Maybe for a big expedition? Make sure you know about the latest passport rules. Some states are now requiring a passport even for domestic travel.
- 360 Adventure Collective, the association for independent and non-independent outdoor sales reps on the East Coast, announced the recipients of the 2019 Outdoor Opportunity Grants, an initiative to support programs that get young people outdoors. Check out this year's recipients here.
- LEKI is offering the second annual LEKI Full Ride Scholarship to Timothy Olson’s Run Mindful Retreat from June 13 to 16 in Boulder, Colorado. The scholarship includes registration fees, air travel, lodging and LEKI Trail Running gear for one deserving trail runner.
- And lastly, Outside Magazine released a short list of the best outdoor gear shops in the U.S. We write about those shops too. Make sure to nominate your favorite for the #CoolShop Awards and we might feature it this year.