Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Is the end of the government shutdown in sight? Outdoors Alliance for Kids (OAK), a non-partisan alliance of more than 100 groups including the YMCA of the USA, the American Heart Association, and Boys and Girls Clubs of America, sure hopes so. “All over the country youth groups that lead trips into our national parks are having to cancel and disappoint the kids they serve," Jackie Ostfeld, founder and chair of OAK and director of Sierra Club Outdoors, said in a press release. "It’s not safe for kids and families to be out there exploring our parks without the support and protection provided by the National Park Service, and it’s not safe for our parks to have people driving off-road, damaging sacred natural features, and leaving behind their trash. It’s time to end this shutdown and get our parks back in operation.”
- Croakies just updated its warranty to a lifetime warranty. "Offering a Lifetime Warranty is simply a natural progression for our brand as an industry-leader in the arena,” said George Schott, head of sales.
- Vital Outdoors, an outdoor and recreation lifestyle retailer, is opening a second store in Colorado at the end of February. The first store in Golden opened more than 10 years ago.
- Outdoor Afro has a new board member, Ashley Williams, senior director of global marketing at KEEN. Williams has spent the last two decades in the sports and outdoor industries for brands like adidas, Yakima, and Amer Sports. At KEEN, Williams helps to connect the brand with more fans and tell its values-led stories.
- Callaway Golf officially completed the $476 million acquisition of Jack Wolfskin. We wrote about it in early December.
- YETI appointed Melisa Goldie to the newly created role of chief marketing officer. She will report to Matt Reintjes, President and Chief Executive Officer of YETI. Most recently, Goldie served as a strategic brand marketing consultant and before that, served as the Global Chief Marketing Officer of Calvin Klein, Inc., where she was responsible for all consumer-facing marketing initiatives for the iconic $8.5 billion lifestyle brand.
- YETI also debuted a new podcast called "Drifting" with host JT Van Zandt. The native Texan and revered fly fishing guide discusses the hardships and triumphs in both life and the wild with iconic guests, like Dan Rather, Hilary Hutcheson, and Jimmy Chin.
- Industry veteran David Orr has joined Dakine as the global general manager. Orr most recently founded Strategic Sales Solutions LLC, a consulting company to brands and organizations that helps successfully position themselves based on their vision, mission and core competencies.
- Both The North Face and Columbia Sportswear are exiting the Uptown area of Minneapolis, the former not offering an explanation and the latter saying that the location no longer fits with their strategic direction.
- And lastly, here's a piece on how the fuzzy fleece of the REI and Clif-Bar crowds trickled into high fashion.