Keep up by reading Industry Buzz. Here are today's top headlines:
Have a news tip? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attention Plastic Impact Alliance members: If you're exhibiting at Outdoor Retailer, please click here to get your PIA booth signage. We'll deliver it at the show!
- The polybag problem: Our oceans are filling up with plastic and everyone is scrambling to build more sustainable businesses. So why do we still rely so heavily on polybags for distributing our products? In our latest story, we unpack the history, the challenges, and the possible solutions to eradicating them. Or at least recycling them.
- New retailer: SugarWolf Outdoor Exchange is a new locally-owned outdoor gear and apparel consignment retailer opening in Lafayette, Louisiana. Owners Allison Nederveld and Wendy Dorfman have hiked the Appalachian Trail and their store's name is a mashup of their two trail names.
- Missing in the Grand Canyon: A 58-year-old Texas man who has been missing for two weeks was found alive. National Park Service rangers located him and evacuated him from the inner canyon via helicopter on Jan. 2. He had been missing since Dec. 22.
- Go: Pattie Gonia was just announced as the headline speaker for the "Inclusivity in Sport" panel discussion at Winter Pridefest in Bend, Oregon, from Jan. 30 to Feb. 1. “I couldn’t be more thrilled to accept OUT Central Oregon’s invitation to join them in one of the country’s top destinations for outdoor recreation, and to share my passion for Mother Nature, the outdoors, and the environment with Winter PrideFest attendees and the broader Bend community,” said Wyn Wiley (he/him), aka Pattie Gonia (she/her). “Winter PrideFest is more than just a celebration of winter sports among the LGBTQ+ community, it’s an opportunity for all of us to learn, grow, and share our experiences with others. Being outdoors, and being in a destination like Bend, provides a perfect platform to do just that.”
- Apply: The Outdoor Industry Association Board of Directors is now seeking board director nominations for four positions in 2020. Complete your submission here. OIA will be accepting recommendations through Feb. 3.
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics: Russia has been banned from participating in the event for the next four years by a committee within the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), Climbing Magazine reported. That means no climbers will be able to compete under the Russian flag.
- Thule Group is growing: The company recently acquired Denver Outfitters, the leading player in roof rack mounted fly fishing rod vaults in North America.
- PrimaLoft Inc. and adidas have entered into a new collaborative partnership, joining in the strategic development of high-performance, sustainable products. A key focus will be the introduction of adidas apparel featuring PrimaLoft insulation made with Parley Ocean Plastic.