We have quite a schedule coming to you in the Outdoor Retailer Daily, starting on Day 1 of the show, Aug. 2, but we’re giving you a sneak peak at what’s to come, plus a list of some events at the Open Air Demo.
Plan your day at Jordanelle State Park, or decide which Aug. 1 seminars at the Marriott you’ll attend if you’re not up for the demo or busy setting up your booth.
Get your learning on with these seminars going on at the Salt Lake City Marriott Downtown at City Creek.
- Outdoor University: Ecommerce Business Technologies – Partnering with Reps and Retailers Using Today's Digital Tools, 2-3:15 - Salt Lake City Marriott Downtown at City Creek. Speaker is Whit Johnson. E-commerce digital solutions to communicate with your retailers and sales reps are a "must have" for all vendors to capture and manage orders and permit the complete commercial relationship to work efficiently.
- Outdoor University: Managing Mobile Retail Technologies, 2-3:15 - Salt Lake City Marriott Downtown at City Creek. Speaker is Richard Mader. Anything handheld can be a research engine, catalog, cash register, retailer or even a dressing room. Here's what's out there and how to work it into your retail strategies.
- Outdoor University: Business Succession Planning — How to Plan to Hand Things Over, 3:30-4:45 - Salt Lake City Marriott Downtown at City Creek. When it's time to pass the torch, figuring out how can be tricky. Find out the basics of valuing what you've built and what legal and knowledge transfer steps you need to take to transition the business into new hands.
- Outdoor University: Putting the "Action" in Transaction — How Experiential Retailers are Succeeding with Customers, 3:30-4:45 - Salt Lake City Marriott Downtown at City Creek. Everyone expects an experience. Find out how top retailers are becoming experience destinations and packaging merchandise with memories.
If the seminars aren’t your thing, check out these picks from events going on at the Open Air Demo. For a full schedule, visit the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market website.
- Laundry Bag Giveaway: For a $10 donation to the Outdoor Foundation, get a laundry bag with scent-defending technology during Demo Day at Agion Active, and at Burlington, #MR150A.
- Waterford Press at Open Air Demo: Master Woodsman Dave Canterbury shares his world-renowned Pathfinder survival techniques at the Open Air Demo.
- Magellan GPS Treasure Hunt: Experience the latest in high-tech treasure hunting by using the geocaching-dedicated eXplorist handheld along a varied-terrain geocaching course. Prizes include a Magellan GPS.
- Custom Cycling Jersey Giveaway: We’re giving away six full custom cycling jerseys in your company design, courtesy of Roanoke Outside and Starlight Custom Apparel.
- King Cong Canoe Vs. Supzilla: SUP may rule the water, but not without a fight! Can a war canoe built by Wenonah beat Supzilla? High noon showdown at the Outdoor Demo. Sponsored by Wenonah Canoe and MTI Adventurewear.
- Drawing for Free Bellyak for Buyers: Buyers, try a Bellyak anytime during the show to be entered to win free Bellyak. Drawing on Friday at 4 p.m., and you must be present to win!
- Sazzi Toe Motion Footwear Trail Run: Sazzi Toe-Motion Footwear invites you to connect with Outdoor Retailer Demo Day with a mid-day fun run at Jordanelle Reservoir. Plus, stop by the Sazzi booth and try out both the Decimal and the Digit styles on our trail trail, featuring a variety of terrain surfaces.
- Dish Network Tailgater Portable HDTV Demos: We may be outdoor adventurers but we still like our shows at times. Swing by and visit Dish Network to check out its Portable HDTV system, which consists of a lightweight, portable satellite antenna (Tailgater Antenna) that is fully-automatic and a DISH HD receiver.
But we're all here for the show, to see the new products and attend cool events, so while we were putting together the calendar, we pulled a few things that are on our wish list to attend. Here are our picks for Day 1.
- Kick Off and Pick Me Up for Project OR, 2-3:30 - #155. FabricLink and Project OR presents a Project OR launch event in the Design Center called “Kick Off and Pick Me Up” with espresso and treats.
- Gibbon Games International Slackline Competition Qualifier, 6-7 – South Plaza. Come see the world’s best slackliners battle head-to-head in the Gibbon Games International Slackline Competition Qualifier.
- Industry Party, 6-8 – Southside of 200 West between North Temple & South Temple. Wrap up at the show then roll right into some food, fun and relaxation at the Summer Market Industry Party. Music by Clif Bar, beverages by Sierra Nevada, BBQ by Sanuk, games by LED Lenser, and with the support of AdRoll. Take advantage of this twice-a-year opportunity to catch up with old friends and make some new ones as well.
- Life and Death on Everest 2012, 5-6 - Salt Lake City Marriott Downtown at City Creek. With speed attempts, historic climbs and a larger media presence than normal, 2012 was destined to be a memorable season on Everest. Join an expert panel as they discuss the challenges of climbing an overcrowded mountain, how Everest is perceived in the mainstream media and the outdoor industry’s complicated relationship with the world’s highest mountain. Featured speaker is Dan Smink.
- An Evening with Keller Williams to Raise Awareness for the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, 8 - the Depot. Suunto, Life is Good and Probar present Keller Williams. Ages 21 and up, doors open at 8 p.m., show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets in advance cost $15, $20 at the door. Purchase tickets here. This is a benefit concert for the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, which protects Utah's remaining 9.2 million acres of red rock wilderness.
Here are our picks for Day 2:
- Conservation Alliance Breakfast featuring Keynote Speaker Aron Ralston, 7-9 a.m. - Salt Lake City Marriott Downtown at City Creek. Aron Ralston amputated his arm with a cheap multi-tool knife and hiked to a miraculous rescue in Utah's canyon country after accidentally dislodged a boulder that crushed and pinned his right hand. With new prosthetic arms that he designed, Aron finished solo winter ascents of Colorado's 59 Fourteeners, skied from the summit of Denali, and led a raft trip through the Grand Canyon.
- OR Rocks! Films@UMOCA: "Wild Love: Move Shake," 4-5 p.m. - Utah Museum of Contemporary Art, 20 South West Temple. Although our national parks belong to all Americans, it’s a sad fact that very few people of color ever set foot in some of our country’s most beautiful places. This film takes journey to Yosemite National Park with the Amazing Grace 50+ Club, a Los Angeles-based senior church group whose members are looking to reverse that trend.
- Sazzi Toe Motion Footwear Trail Trail, 9-1 & 3-6 - #29114W. Stop by the Sazzi booth and try out both the Decimal and the Digit styles on our Ancient Made Modern Trail Trail, featuring a variety of terrain surfaces.
- Fourth Annual Hookers & Grubbers Rugby Match, 7 – West High School, 241 North 300 West. The cream of the crop of the outdoor industry’s aging rugby populace will be playing for bragging rights, and welcome all newcomers to rugby who wish to play. To register beforehand, contact Scott Duer, ScottD@genuineguidegear.com. Jerseys will be available at the Aloe Up booth #132.
- The TevaSphere Party, 9 p.m. – Club Elevate. Celebrate Teva’s introduction of TevaSphere, the party kicks off with Phife Dawg from A Tribe Called Quest. Invitation required so drop by the Teva booth (#7001) to find out how to score one. This is where all the memories are made, so get down to Club Elevate and don’t forget to strike a wacky pose because we know you like to party, you like to get down and the O.R.D. staff photographers like to capture it all in print.
If you’re not hung over from the TevaSphere party, wake up early, put on a crazy costume, lace up your running shoes and do the Wasatch Wobble. Don’t forget our O.R.D. photographers will be there so, the crazier the costume, the more likely it will be that they’ll notice you! But, hey, costumes aren’t everyone’s thing. If you’re up for a run, but don’t want all the fuss, head over to the Rangar OIWC Challenge with two other teammates and run the 4-mile event sponsored by Asics. Here are the details on those two events, plus a few more including a “Big Belly Bouldering” pregnant climbing competition.
- The 17th Annual Montrail Wasatch Wobble, 6-8 - #26001. A Saturday morning classic, the 2012 Wasatch Wobble course will be marked by ultrarunner Dakota Jones. The theme is Keep it Wild!
- The Rangar OIWC Challenge, 6-8:30 - #38185. OIWC and Ragnar Relay have joined forcesand 100 percent of the registration fees go to OIWC's programs focused on providing advocacy, education and resources for women in the outdoor, bike and snowsports industries. Assemble a three-person team, and hit your four-mile loop. Visit oiwc.org for more information and to register. Sponsored by Asics.
- Free Safe Sun Assessments, 9-3 - #24049. Come by for a free sun assessment/UV photo conducted by a master aesthetician. For every assessment, Tilly will donate $5 to Leave No Trace.
- Big Belly Bouldering, 2-3 – Climbing Zone. Pregnant climbing contest. Strap on a bump and Mountain Mama’s new Maternity Harness by Mad Rock. Plus Helen Olsson book signing, $5 to benefit OIWC.
- Learn How to Maintain Gear With Nikwax & Backpacker, 2-2:30 – #16045. Learn how to make your gear last with Backpacker’s Kristin Hostetter and Nikwax. Get Backpacker’s new gear maintenance book with Nikwax freebies.
- All Star Industry Jam, 9-1 - Club Elevate, 155 West 200 South. Think Battle of the Bands + OR + Beers at Club Elevate. Hosted by funny-man and world-class rock climber Timmy O'Neill, for one night only. Witness industry veterans rocking the legendary All Star Industry Jam.
- Olukai After Party Featuring Aluhea, 9:30-11 - #30165W. Olukai hosts an after party with Maui singer, songwriter Anuhea. VIP-access only. Visit the OluKai booth for information on how you can become a VIP.
Don’t forget to check out Outdoor Retailer’s featured areas and events:
- Design Center, 9-6 - #MR155-417. Source and shop the components that make up the innovative and fashion forward elements of the outdoor market. From trend forecasting to color theory to laminations, the Design Center is your resource destination at Summer Market. Make sure to follow Project OR Cycle 9 in the Design Center. Contestants will be constructing their garments here.
- Project OR, 9-6 - #MR155-417. The industry’s original 48-hour concept-to-prototype design competition where five promising design students have been hand-picked from top design programs around the country to produce a garment prototype that is original, an innovative use of performance and eco-friendly materials, with a practical application for the outdoor market.
- Merchandising Tours, 9-6 -TBD. Merchandising Tours are designed to give merchandising inspiration and help discover creative methods you can put into play. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Spaces are limited.
- Bike Sharing / Park N Pedal, 9-6 - South Plaza and New Exhibitor Pavilion. OR Bike Share offers attendees free, secure bike parking and rentals during the show. Located on the South Plaza and the New Exhibitor Pavilion, OR Bike Share offers full valet service for local commuters.
- The Casting Area at the New Exhibitor Pavilion, 9-6 - New Exhibitor Pavilion. The Casting Area is the perfect area to test fly fishing rods and reels. Testing is crucial for buying decisions; this is your opportunity to try before you buy.
- Street Scene, Beer Garden and Gourmet Food Trucks, 9-6 - Street Scene at New Exhibitor Pavilion. Sometimes nothing refreshes like an ice-cold beer. Have your fill at the Beer Garden next to the New Exhibitor Pavilion — all four days of the show. Also taste the delectable offerings of our gourmet food trucks all show days. Open to badged attendees. Cheers.
- The Mezz@OR, 9-6 -MZ126-MZ320. The Salt Palace Convention Center Mezzanine, or The Mezz@OR, is located in the northwest corner of level two. In addition to scoping out new brands, retail attendees can enter in our daily raffle to win iPad2 systems or catch up on emails in the ISPO WiFi Lounge.
- OR Rocks! 9-6 - City-wide. OR Rocks! is the epicenter and heart of Outdoor Retailer’s culture. It’s what sets the show apart, and the culture is what sets the outdoor industry ahead. OR Rocks is the films, art and music of the outdoor industry. Whether you are watching the stories unfold at OR Rocks.
- The Great Outdoors Photo Contest, 9-6 – TBD. The winning images from PDN’s “The Great Outdoors” photo contest will be on display in the Salt Palace. Winners were chosen in both professional and amateur categories based on their ability to capture fleeting moments, rare encounters with nature and the stunning beauty of the natural world. Featured speakers are Caroline Waddell and Michael Wood.
- SUP Tank, 9-6 – Outside New Exhibitor Pavilion. The SUP Tank at the Pavilion will be the hub of the standup paddle community at OR with demos, a new product area and events. Plus, see products and athletes in action in the SUP Tank.
- Tent City on the Grass, 9-6 – Across West Temple from the South Plaza. The industry’s best in camping gear and tents will be on display at Tent City on the Grass outside the Salt Palace. Check out tents from multiple manufacturers and compare the latest tent innovations side-by-side in a natural environment.
- Prana Rejuvenation Room, 9-6 - #MR254C. Refresh and revive yourself with yoga sessions during the show in the Prana Rejuvenation Room.
In addition to these highlighted events, there are a ton of great sales at the likes of Osprey Packs (#5010), Icebreaker (#32173) and Honey Stinger (#32032), among many others, to benefit awesome organizations like Big City Mountaineers, the Conservation Alliance and the Four Corners School of Outdoors Education.
For the best events to attend each day, and on Day 4, be sure to pick up a daily copy of the O.R.D. at your hotel or at the Salt Palace.
That’s all, folks! We’re excited to see you in Salt Lake City!