What did the SNEWS team read this week that other industry insiders might find interesting? Read on to find out!
- Hiking is a tremendous workout, but the folks featured in this story credit outdoor exploration with much more than a healthy body. They say being members of the Atlanta Outdoor Club has built their self-esteem and fulfilled their lives in ways other activities couldn’t.
- Speaking of hiking, nobody wants to be mistaken for game during hunting season. This Manchester Journal article offers tips to stay safe, including wearing bright colors and avoiding hiking during low-visibility hours.
- The folks at Icebreaker say yoga is the fastest-growing sport out there. They also say it’s the fastest-growing apparel segment in the outdoor industry. Perhaps hiking yoga is to blame for that. Check out this story about how people are taking the magic of their practice and combining it with the magic of nature.
- Backpacker Magazine does a ton of great gear testing. It’s your go-to magazine to find out what the best product is for every outdoor adventure and situation. Check out Michael Lanza's list of his favorite outdoor gear and apparel as a result of all the testing he does for Backpacker.
- It’s no secret that outdoor recreation is great for the economy, but it seems the folks in Brevard, N.C., are finding out exactly how great. This story reports that one trail builder in the area told the local Rotary Club that outdoor recreation “is exploding.”
- With our first big snowstorm hitting this week, we’re well aware that ski and snowboard season is upon us. That pass on our jacket is itching to be scanned. But how does weather behavior affect our safety on the slopes? This AccuWeather story tells us.
- We’re planning to get a cake to celebrate the news reported in this Denver Post story: The man who helped found our favorite ski area, Wolf Creek, recently celebrated his 100th birthday by skiing there. He felt a little stiff on the slopes, Charles Elliott said, but that didn’t faze him.
- It turns out Charles Elliott isn’t the only silver fox hitting the slopes. According to this story there’s a trend of more seniors skiing. The older folks featured in this story say there is no excuse not to get out there and have some fun. Plus, those old sweaters they’ve been wearing for years are finally back in style, according to the folks at Woolrich.
- Pobrecita Lindsey Vonn, the Olympic skier just can’t seem to catch a break. This story reports that she will be receiving physical therapy following a crash on Tuesday that strained her right knee and partially tore her right ACL. She had recently started training again after having major surgery on that same knee. Hopefully Tiger will take good care of her.
- If you’re going for a snowy winter trot on the trails, you might want to pack some pepper spray and leave your valuables at home. Apparently robbers are targeting folks on hikes, at least in Boulder. Check out this ABC affiliate news story on exactly what happened.
Did you read anything awesome this week? Email us because we want to read it too.