Got any news or tips about somebody, some product or some company doing some moving or shaking? Let us know so we can slip it into our occasional Movin' & Shakin' updates. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gregory Mountain Products (www.gregorypacks.com) in Salt Lake City, Utah has hired Bill Kulczycki as its new General Manager/Vice President. Kulczycki comes to the post after four years as president and CEO of Filson. Click here to read more.
- Nick Castagnoli, has been named the new PR and product information contact for Rossignol, Dynastar, Look and Lange. Castagnoli has 15 years experience in the ski industry, most recently working for the past five years in the Rossignol Group Service Center. Castagnoli can be reached by email at email@example.com
- Joshua Tree Skin Care, maker of organic and natural products designed to support an active outdoor lifestyle, has named Bryan Pappas as its national sales manager. Pappas, who has nearly two decades of sales leadership experience, will focus on national grocery and retail department store chains as well as national outdoor retailers. Click here to read more.
- Mountain Hardwear (www.mountainhardwear.com) has added seven new athletes to its global athlete team for 2011. With the goal of creating a freeride ski team and aligning the brand with young athletes at the top of their sport, Mountain Hardwear has signed five skiers, Vivian Bruchez, Mike Gardner, Caroline Gleich, James Heim and Drew Stoecklein, and two climbers, Sasha Digiulian and Angie Payne.
- Spenco Medical, (www.spenco.com) which makes footwear inserts, has hired Evan Wert as its new marketing manager. Wert previously was USA Sales and Marketing Manager at Pacsafe Anti-theft travel gear.
- Denver-based sport sunglass manufacturer, Mountain Shades, (www.mshades.com) has entered into a three-year licensing agreement with New Balance to develop the company’s new line of running-specific sunglasses, New Balance Sun. The sunglasses will be sold online and through specialty running and outdoor retailers in the U.S. market. Click here to read more.
- Utah-based Gear to Grow (www.geartogrow.org) has named Howard, Merrell & Partners as its public relations and social media agency of record. Gear to Grow collects gear donations (i.e. backpacks, jackets, socks) from outdoor retailers and manufacturers and distributes them to non-profit organizations that get people involved in outdoor recreation.
- Timbuk2 (www.timbuk2.com) has announced the appointment of four new sales agencies across Canada who will begin representing the company’s products to the Canadian retail market beginning Fall 2011 -- Andrea Dillon Sales, Gomme Sales, The Outside Group, and Les Agences Benoit Corriveau Inc. The four agencies together will cover all provinces of Canada.
- For the fourth time in six years, the American Society of Magazine Editors has nominated Backpacker magazine (www.backpacker.com) as a General Excellence Award finalist. Previous nominations for Backpacker came in 2006, 2008 and 2009, with a win in 2008. This year, Backpacker, of Boulder, Colo., is competing the “Finance, Technology, and Lifestyle” category. Winners will be announced May 9. Click here to see the full nomination list.
- Academy Sports + Outdoors (www.academy.com), a southeast-based sports and outdoors lifestyle retail chain, opened its first store in the Atlanta area on April 1, 2011. The store is nearly 70,000 square feet and is located at 198 South Point Boulevard in McDonough. It brings 150 new jobs to the area, and is the fourth Academy Sports + Outdoors store in the state of Georgia. Academy Sports + Outdoors operates 130 stores throughout Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.
- Performance Bicycle (www.performancebike.com) opened five new retail stores in four states nationwide, April 8, 2011, in Sacramento, Calif., Dallas/Fort Worth and Austin, Texas, Atlanta, Ga., and its first ever expansion into Idaho, with a new store in Boise. The Chapel Hill, N.C.-based retailer also re-launched its Bike Nashbar brand, including a redesign of the catalog and website (www.nashbar.com).
- Globetrotter said its latest Munich retail store (www.globetrotter.de/de/filialen/muenchen/) now has the largest choice of Arc’teryx products in Europe with an exclusive 240-square-meter Arc’teryx shop within the 6,500-square-meter store.
- Icebreaker (www.icebreaker.com), of New Zealand, opened its first Icebreaker TouchLab store in Western Canada on March 23. The 1,800-square-foot store is located in Vancouver, British Columbia, in the Kitsilano neighborhood at 2089 West 4th Avenue, near the corner of Arbutus. Icebreaker has one other TouchLab store in Canada at 1515 rue Ste-Catherine Ouest in Montréal, Quebec. Click here to read more.
- Altrec.com Outdoors, of Bend, Ore., has launched a new outlet website (outlet.altrec.com). The Outlet features more than 10,000 sale items from performance brands, and customers can register for daily deals, exclusive sales and giveaways.
--Compiled by SNEWS® Editors