GREENVILLE, S.C. (March 26, 2013) – Wave Sport is dedicated to all things whitewater, whether that be the top kayak competitions in the world or the whitewater community at large. For 2013, Wave Sport is supporting a range of whitewater events and organizations from the World Championships to Team River Runner.
“For nearly three decades, Wave Sport has been at the forefront of all things whitewater, so it only makes sense that Wave Sport’s 2013 sponsorships support our big water obsession by giving back to the paddling community,” said Jessica Prescott, marketing manager for Wave Sport. “This year, Wave Sport is committing to world-class events, altruistic organizations, and inspirational individuals that foster this whitewater passion and lifestyle, and we are proud to partner with each opportunity on our roster.”
Wave Sport Sponsorships for 2013:
• Tallulah Fest – (April 12-14, 2013). Celebrating the release of the Tallulah Gorge, proceeds from this weekend-long celebration go to support the efforts of American Whitewater. Attendees will get to listen to great music from Adam Hood and Sourdough Honey, watch big screen adventure movies, enter photo and video contests, and have plenty of opportunities to win prizes including a Wave Sport Recon kayak.
• GoPro Mountain Games - (June 6-9, 2013). The GoPro Mountain Games, held in Vail, Colo., is the nation’s largest celebration of adventure sports, art, and mountain culture. This year, Wave Sport is set to sponsor the Kayak Freestyle competition and Wave Sport athletes will be competing in whitewater events throughout the weekend. Additionally, Wave Sport will have a booth at GearTown with the latest freestyle, downriver, and creekboat kayaks on display, so stop by to check out the newest Wave Sport kayaks.
• World Championships – (Sept. 2-8, 2013). The 2013 ICF Canoe Freestyle World Championships will take place on the Nantahala River. More than 300 of the best international paddlers will descend upon Bryson City, N.C., for a week to compete and celebrate the sport of kayaking. Thousands of spectators are expected to attend the event and watch the world’s top kayakers duke it out on The 2013 Wave, a world-class competitive feature created by a Wave Shaper. Wave Sport athletes Haley Mills, Mike Tavares, and Tyler Curtis will be competing.
Portraits – Wave Sport athlete, Kelsey Thompson is creating a series of narrative videos about the brand’s athletes in order to show the faces and personalities behind Wave Sport. Athletes will discuss things that are unique to their kayaking style and what fuels a passion for kayaking. The videos will also cover topics such as fear, the role adrenaline plays, and what makes running rivers so appealing to these athletes. Wave Sport is providing kayaks and support for the team.
Birth of a Kayak – Following the creation of a kayak from the design phase through testing, manufacturing, production and ultimately use on the water, Birth of a Kayak by Team Wave Sport athlete Chris Wing and H2O Dreams aims to bridge the gap between the product and its consumer. Covering topics about innovation, the design feedback loop and the long-term testing process, Birth of a Kayak will be an educational resource for Wave Sport kayak enthusiasts. Wave Sport designers and athletes will be closely involved in the creation of the film and Wave Sport kayaks will be used throughout the filming process.
Troubleshooter – Wave Sport athlete Chris Wing and H2O Dreams are offering an alternative to “how to” instructional videos with Troubleshooter, which teaches an innovative “how come” approach to freestyle paddling. Troubleshooter is geared towards advanced beginner and intermediate playboaters who are looking to take their playboating to the next level. Featuring Wave Sports top athletes, aspiring freestyle kayakers will learn how to simplify their technique and bring fluidity to their paddling as they refine their playboating skills. Wave Sport will provide kayaks for the video and support for Team Wave Sport.
• American Whitewater – Wave Sport is donating boats to AW fundraising initiatives throughout the season to support their efforts for conservation and restoration of whitewater resources. To support American Whitewater, Wave Sport is donating a Recon kayak to be raffled off at Gauley Fest. Be sure to stop by and say hello at the Wave Sport booth at Gauley Fest (September 20-21, in Summersville, W.Va.).
• Team River Runner – Team River Runner (TRR), founded in 2004, works to provide healing to veterans and active duty personnel who have been injured while serving our country. Wave Sport supports our troops and TRR’s efforts with a partnership to provide boats and pro deals to those in the program and booth-sharing opportunities to help promote awareness for the organization at several major festivals.
The athletes that make up Team Wave Sport live and breathe whitewater. Their passion for their craft, dedication to the sport and respect for the rivers that are their playground daily illustrate the reason why we do what we do, and we can’t thank them enough for their contributions to the Wave Sport brand. Their feedback and insights allow us to create the boats our customers love and he
lp us continue evolving and growing, all in the spirit of kayaking.
About Wave Sport:
Wave Sport was founded in 1986 with a dedication to all things whitewater, and that philosophy holds true today. For Wave Sport, paddling is a journey whether over the course of a day or a lifetime. Some journeys are destined for a local, glassy surfing wave, while the journey for others may culminate in a first descent of some remote and enormous drop. For those who believe paddling is not just an activity, but a way of life, Wave Sport welcomes you to the ride. Join the Wave Sport Community and learn more at www.wavesport.com.
Wave Sport · Perception · Dagger · Wilderness Systems · Mad River Canoe · Adventure Technology · Harmony · Bomber Gear