What did the SNEWS team read this week that other fitness insiders might find interesting? Well, read on to find out.
- We sure do a lot of sitting while writing in our work at Active Interest Media, but after reading this story in the Yankton Daily Press & Dakotan about exercising while you work by sitting on yoga ball chairs or by using under-the-desk bike pedals to burn the calories, we’re revamping our space to make it more exercise friendly.
- Coming from a family filled with females, we can appreciate this news we just read in U.S. News regarding how exercise helps women curb hot flashes. Now, we’re going to try to convince certain ladies in our lives to hop on our elliptical at home. Shoot, maybe we’ll even visit our local specialty fitness retailer for some accessories to work out together.
- Getting tired of hearing how hot CrossFit is? Well, get used to it. It’s here to stay for a while, we think. Perhaps you don’t sell tractor tires and hammers, as those used in the picture of this Cherokee Ledger-News story about the ever-popular trend, but maybe you should look into other things to sell to appease customers who are no doubt filling their weekends or early mornings with CrossFit classes.
- Though some gyms and fitness centers are shunning “green” equipment because they say it’s expensive and doesn’t put much back into the grid, AC4 Fitness in Los Angeles is not one of them. Check out this Los Angeles Times story featuring all the good things the employees of AC4 Fitness have to say about the green equipment they’ve been using, including the Woodway Ecomill.
- "Stripper" may not be the job title we all aspire to achieve, but the work sure does come with an awesome workout. Plus, strippers tend to be fit (right?), so why wouldn’t we want to learn how to pole dance like they do? Check out this Clarion Ledger story on the rise of pole fitness and how you can get in on it.
- Who doesn’t get motivated to be more fit during Olympic years? Articles are popping up in several fitness magazines instructing folks on how to get the legs of an Olympic runners and the arms of Olympic swimmers. Check out this Galesburg Register-Mail blog for updates on fitness and the Olympic games.
- Speaking of bodies like stellar athletes, ever wonder how Serena Williams gets and keeps that super-muscular physique? It’s thanks to several things, no doubt, but one of them is her personal trainer. Now that personal training is blowing up in terms of a career choice, perhaps some of those trainers who come into your stores could look up to Serena’s personal trainer Mackie Shilstone. Check out this story about Shilstone’s attempt to get Serena back to Wimbledon glory.
- Speaking of personal training blowing up, do you know a personal trainer that is awesome and could use an award? This press release on the Wall Street Journal website is calling for nominees for the ‘World’s Best Personal Trainer’ in a competition sponsored by Life Fitness and FitPro North America. Nominations are due before July 31 and are being taken here.
- Oh, no, retailers! You best look into this FatWallet.com thing. Turns out the website is offering a ton of deals to consumers on fitness equipment, workout gear and supplements. Looks like somebody is trying to step on your toes! Check out this San Francisco Chronicle press release post to find out what’s going on and how you can compete.
- With the youth obesity epidemic seeming to make headlines all the time, it’s refreshing to read about companies that are doing something about it, including the youth fitness franchise chain Athletic Revolution, which will host its first convention this year.
Have you read anything interesting you'd like to share with us? Maybe we'll include it next week's column with a little shout out to you. Send a link to the story with the subject line "SNEWS Reads" to be considered.
--Compiled by Ana Trujillo