If you read anything today, make it Industry Buzz. Here are today's must-read headlines:
Have a news tip? We've created a new form where you can submit tips and story ideas. We'll be checking it often to ensure we don't miss anything.
- #MeToo: Alpinist magazine along with the American Alpine Club, the Access Fund, and other climbing organizations are circulating a survey querying the climbing community about sexual harassment and sexual assault. "Our goal is to quantify the extent of this problem in our community," Alpinist says. Responses are due by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on May 6. Find out more here.
- Utah’s travel and tourism industries are reporting steady growth. But losing Outdoor Retailer was a big hit. "What’s really tough about losing OR is that we didn’t really have a lot of time to fill that in," Cliff Doner, of Visit Salt Lake, told Utah Business. "It takes us several years to book these groups. And the bigger the group, the longer it takes to book them in...We found out about it basically about this time last year. So we weren’t really able to do much about January. We lost about 5 percent of overall revenues in January. Summer, we don’t have that filled in yet for 2018."
- Amer Sports Corporation—parent company to Arc'teryx, Salomon, Atomic, and Suunto, among other brands—has acquired Swedish sports fashion brand Peak Performance. Heikki Takala, President and CEO of Amer Sports, said, "Peak Performance is distinctively positioned versus our current brand portfolio and it has a strong relevancy in sports fashion, and moreover a significant share of sales in womenswear and direct to consumer. With this acquisition, we take another important step toward our longer term target of bypassing EUR 1.5 billion sales in Softgoods."
- There's more unrest under Ryan Zinke. The Interior Department's inspector general found that officials failed to explain a reassignment of 35 top employees last June, which led to some staffers stepping down. Now, there's a proposed reassignment of Yellowstone National Park's veteran superintendent and six others senior execs. Zinke and his deputies have said the shifts are a way to invigorate the department’s approach to decision-making.
- If you're a new exhibitor this year at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market, you don't want to miss this opportunity. The SNEWS team produces the show’s daily magazine, OR Daily, and we profile some select new exhibitors. Find out how to get covered.
- We want to wish PR pro Sue Killoran best wishes as she turns the page and says farewell to her longtime clients Tecnica and Blizzard. In a note last week, Sue wrote, "I have decided to move on from my career as PR Consultant in the Outdoor, Ski, and Lifestyle markets to my next professional endeavor. For the last 22 years I have had the pleasure of working with amazing brands and people and have thoroughly enjoyed working with each and every one of you!” Moving forward you can still reach Sue at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Congratulations to one of our favorite mountain guides, Melissa Arnot Reid, and her husband Tyler Reid. They are the proud parents of a beautiful daughter, Kaia, 7 lbs., 4 oz.