What did we read, or watch, this week that other industry insiders might enjoy? Read on to find out!
- We just told you how yoga is blowing up in both the outdoor and fitness industries, so it might be that a lot of the people coming through your doors are yogis, or soon-to-be yogis. This Mind Body Green post is filled with great information on the best things for yogis to eat to cleanse before and after practice.
- The treadmill remains on of the best selling fitness items out there and with good reason. There are tons of runners out there who sometimes don’t want to brave the elements for a training run. But that doesn’t mean that they love working out on the treadmill, it’s just that it’s more convenient at the time. Show them this post from Brooks Running on how they can learn to love their treadmill a little bit more.
- We’re not always reading. Sometimes, a little TV is good to watch, and we’ll be interested to see how a new online 24-hour sports channel for women pans out. Janet TV launched earlier this week, providing coverage of female athletes and their sports. The channel — available at www.JanetTV.com — broadcasts events, original shows, movies, scores and news.
- We’re all aware that sitting is killing us – we’ve heard it a million times over the past two years. What we didn’t know, however, that it’s also one of the main culprits behind a bad night’s sleep, according to this ABC Action News story, which said that less sitting and more exercise leads to more restful sleep.
- “So what if the weather outside is frightful,” this story about a killer indoor training program begins. We know you fitness retailers love when the weather out there is frightful, because that means your sales are so delightful. So share this workout suggestion from Muscle and Performance with your clients and customers – maybe convince them they should add a couple of moves with a new product you just got in stock.
- This Lindsay’s List post about IHRSA is a nice, fresh take on the trade show. It doesn’t come from a reporter’s perspective, but a personal trainer’s perspective – a personal trainer who was hired to work as a fitness model for Technogym. The post is just bubbling with excitement.
- And check out Stuart Goldman’s “Mega IHRSA Post-Show Blog” in Club Industry, in which he calls out some good facts (Augie Nieto worked out more than him at the show), a ton of “quick hits” that gave nuggets of show news (like IHRSA’s Meredith Poppler meeting Tennis Star Andre Agassi) and the secret sauce for a successful keynote speech.
- One last IHRSA read, coming from the Las Vegas Informer, talks about all the great classes that were at IHRSA that will get your gym-going customers to be more excited about their boring old workout by attending classes like XerciseLab
- Helping the kiddos get in shape isn’t just about making their bodies healthier, but according to this Counsel and Heal article, vigorous exercise helps children deal with stress as well. In today’s world where there are increasing academic stresses or home stresses (divorce, etc.) stress relief is always good. Need ideas on how to get your kids excited to exercise? Check out this story.
- If you think you’re one of the world’s fitness elite, or know of any of your colleagues, friends or customers who might be, let them know that applications for season two of the show, “The World Fitness Elite” is now accepting applications, this post in the San Francisco Gate reports.
Read anything interesting you’d like to share with us? Shoot us an email with the link and we’ll check it out!