Washington, D.C. - June 6, 2007 - Television and radio stations are focusing their attention on new sports and fitness products. That's one way to describe what will be taking place next week during SGMA Spring Market (June 11-13; Sands Expo & Convention Center; Las Vegas, Nevada) when the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA) will be conducting a TV/Radio Satellite Media Tour (SMT) -- â€œliveâ€ from the show floor of SGMA Spring Market. The SMT will be held on Tuesday, June 12. The â€œhostâ€ of the tour will be Mike May, SGMA's Director of Media Relations. That morning, he will appear on nearly 30 morning television and radio news programs across the country to showcase the latest product introductions in the sporting goods industry. This is the seventh SMT produced by SGMA since January of 2003 â€“ and the fifth one from a trade show. May is a veteran of more than 400 television and radio appearances since 1992.
â€œThe great thing about a Satellite Media Tour is that we can take advantage of satellite technology in order to make a â€œliveâ€ connection with local news programs around the country,â€ said SGMA President Tom Cove. â€œLocal television stations can't afford to send news crews to trade shows. Still, they are very interested in our industry and what will be on display at SGMA Spring Market. Quite honestly, this is a unique service of SGMA. We have the ability and personnel who can deliver this kind of publicity and generate exposure at a major industry event.â€
In every interview, May will be describing some of the more noteworthy products in the sporting goods industry. Accepting the feeds will be ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and Warner Brother affiliates of local television news stations. Stations from Miami (WTVJ-NBC) to Honolulu (KHON-FOX) have booked this tour. There will four national interviews on radio â€“ on USA Radio Network, Good News Broadcast, and two on the Health Radio Network.
The first interview will be on the USA Radio Network at 3:00 am (Pacific) on Tuesday, June 12. The first TV interview will be on WGHP (FOX affiliate; Greensboro, NC) at 3:20 am (Pacific)/6:20 am (Eastern). The last interview will be more than six hours later at 9:20 am (Pacific) â€“ on the Good News Broadcast. In between, a number of stations in major markets will accept the interview. Some of those major cities include Indianapolis (WXIN-FOX), Denver (KUSA-NBC), Tucson (KOLD-CBS), Phoenix (KPNX-NBC), Las Vegas (KLAS-CBS), Jacksonville (WTLV-NBC), Albuquerque (KRQE-CBS), among others. In all, more than one million people in the U.S. will watch and listen to these interviews.
Listed below are product descriptions for the items to be featured in the SMT:
1. NeverFlat Football (Spalding) â€“ This football will hold air 10 times longer than traditional footballs. It's guaranteed to stay full inflated for at least one year. With this ball, there's no seepage (better air bladder) or leakage (improved cap eliminates air escaping and dirt invading).
2. T1200 Treadmill (Horizon Fitness) -- This treadmill allows users to sync their iPod directly with the LED screen, making access to play lists and other content fast and easy. Users can plug headphones directly into the treadmill, or listen to music through large built-in speakers. The treadmill also comes with eTRAKâ„¢ Performance Tracking Technology, which allows users to monitor a variety of workout statistics over the lifetime of the product.
3. The Gap Hitter (Solid Contact Baseball) â€“ It uses a moving ball, which releases on contact at different positions with in the strike zone, giving the hitter instant feedback as to the direction, speed, and trajectory of the ball. It allows the batter, and/or coach, to correct swing imperfections in real-time. It is a simple device that requires no electricity and can be used virtually anywhere.
4. Bionic Gloves (Louisville Slugger) â€“ These are the most scientifically advanced gloves ever made for consumers. They are designed by one of the world's leading orthopedic hand specialists. Bionic gloves are made to work with the anatomy of your hand, not fight against it. They are made for golf, baseball, and fitness activities like free weights, weight lifting machines, and yoga.
5. ARC Trainer (CYBEX) â€“ The CYBEX Home ARC Trainer delivers better results in less time by providing an unmatched number of workout combinations. The ARC combines elements of a skier, elliptical, stepper, and hiker. This all-in-one machine allows you to focus on your own specific workout needs. The ARC puts less stress on the hips, knees, and ankles compared to other cross trainers. Less stress translates to better and quicker results.
6. 1001 Running Shoes (New Balance Athletic Shoe) â€“ This fitness trainer has dynamic cosmetics. Its 3/4 length AbzorbÂ® EX cartridge
has great cushioning, stability, and durability. This shoe is designed for the athlete who is looking for a versatile shoe for a combination of workouts including cardio, weight-lifting, and running. It has a synthetic, mesh upper for lightweight support and 3MÂ® reflective details for safety
There is room on the SMT for one more product. Interested companies should call SGMA's Mike May immediately at 561-317-6111 (cell).
SGMA Spring Market is a focused sporting goods industry event showcasing full lines of footwear, performance apparel, equipment and accessories for fitness, running, spring team sports and licensed products. SGMA Spring Market brings together the industry's leading brands, specialty, independent and trendsetting retailers, and team dealersâ€”all under one roof. The event also provides sporting goods industry professionals with in-depth educational training. SGMA Spring Market is presented by the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA) and is managed and produced by Universal Event Management. For more information on the event, please visit www.sgmamarkets.com or call 1-888-535-5199.
SGMA, the trade association of leading industry sports and fitness brands, enhances industry vitality and fosters sports and fitness participation through research, thought leadership, product promotion and public policy. SGMA produces signature industry events including the Spring Market trade show, Sports + Technology Convergence, Industry Leaders Summit and National Health-through-Fitness Day on Capitol Hill. More information about SGMA membership and SGMA's Sports Research Partnership can be found at www.sgma.com.