Salt Lake City, Utah,—August 4, 2016—The second annual Pitchfest competition hosted by Camber Outdoors, formerly the Outdoor Industries Women’s Coalition (OIWC), was hosted on August 2 in Salt Lake City with top industry leaders, investors, media and business professionals in the active-outdoor industries.
Eight stellar female-led companies participated in the event with just five minutes to pitch their unique concepts to Pitchfest judges, that consisted of top outdoor industry CEOs and business leaders, followed by a question and answer session. Each finalist received mentor training with top industry professionals prior to the event, as well as professional business consulting and expert advice from the panel of judges during the event including:
- Jerry Stritzke, President and CEO of REI
- Sally McCoy, Outdoor Industry Leader and Entrepreneur
- Dan Nordstrom, CEO of Outdoor Research
- Jill Layfield, Camber Outdoors Board Member, CEO and Co-Founder of Tamara Mellon
- Susan Viscon, Camber Outdoors Board Member and Senior Vice President at REI
- Christy Saito, Vice President of Global Product Merchandising, Outdoor + Lifestyle of KEEN Footwear
- Matt Compton, Technology Entrepreneur and Investor, COO of Simple Finance
Additionally, at the conclusion of Pitchfest each finalist received a financial consultation session with Advanced CFO, a legal consultation session with Cooley LLP, a presentation course with Smartmouth Communications, an individual membership to Camber Outdoors and tickets to the 2017 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market Trade Show.
“Pitchfest is designed to help promote women-led companies in the active-outdoor industries and epitomizes the spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship that Camber Outdoors advocates,” said Deanne Buck, executive director of Camber Outdoors. “We also wanted to give the finalists the tools to continue their success and hope Pitchfest encourages more women to follow their dreams as entrepreneurs in our industry.”
About Camber Outdoors
Formerly the Outdoor Industries Women’s Coalition (OIWC), Camber Outdoors’ mission is to achieve equality for all women in the outdoors, from backcountry to boardroom. It is the only national organization dedicated to workplace diversity and inclusion by expanding opportunities for women and companies in the active-outdoor industries. Learn more at camberoutdoors.org.
2016 Finalists include:
- the dyrt is Yelp for camping. The company uses gamification to connect outdoor brands to consumers through user reviews. Headquartered in Portland, Oregon. Presenting Founder: Sarah Smith
- ENERGYBits is the first company to sell algae as a sports nutrition product. ENERGYBits gives athletes and active consumers energy and focus without caffeine, chemicals or sugar. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts.
Presenting Founder: Catharine Arnston
- Intrepid Entrepreneur helps entrepreneurs in the outdoor active lifestyle markets build remarkable brands and profitable businesses. Headquartered in Durango, Colorado.
Presenting Founder: Kristin Carpenter-Ogden
- MyMayu makes innovative, parent-designed gear for families wanting to get the most out of their outdoor adventures. Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Presenting Founder: Suzanne Solsona
- OutdoorFest encourages healthy, active and adventurous lifestyles among urbanites through information, innovation and experience. Headquartered in Brooklyn, New York.
Presenting Founder: Sarah Knapp
- Po Campo makes bike bags and travel bags with weatherproof fabric and many pockets to fit electronic devices. Headquartered in Brooklyn, New York.
Presenting Founder: Maria Boustead
- The Renewal Workshop cleans and repairs end-of-use apparel deemed unsellable, and converts it into Renewed Apparel that can be sold to conscientious consumers. Headquartered in Hood River, Oregon.
Presenting Founder: Nicole Bassett
- The Ski Lab provides high-quality ski and snowboard building materials and supplies to meet the needs of hobby and professional ski and snowboard manufacturers. Headquartered in Park City, Utah.
Presenting Founder: Allyson Leang
Toni Carey Kate Lessman
Brand Director Principal
Camber Outdoors Think Big Media PR
(201) 323-4360 (303) 325-3036