LOS ANGELES, CA– The 14th annual California Coast Classic Bicycle Tour presented by Amgen, will begin on September 13, 2014, with approximately 250 cyclists riding to raise $1.1 million for the Arthritis Foundation. The Arthritis Foundation’s California Coast Classic Bicycle Tour (CCCBT) is an eight-day, fully supported ride along beautiful Highway One, starting in San Francisco and ending in Los Angeles on September 20.
The participating cyclists range from beginner to experienced riders, working together to complete the scenic 525-mile course while raising money to support the Arthritis Foundation’s vital research, advocacy and programs for those with arthritis.
“As part of our fundraising efforts, we are pleased to host life-changing events such as the California Coast Classic Bicycle Tour. What could be more rewarding than riding a bike down one of the most beautiful highways in the world while making a difference in someone’s life?” said Manny Loya, CEO of the Arthritis Foundation, Pacific Region. “We’re thrilled that this 14th year of the California Coast Classic Bicycle Tour will push us over the $13 million mark in funds raised from this event. We’re extremely grateful to our riders, sponsors, donors and volunteers for supporting the Bicycle Tour and our mission.”
Arthritis and related diseases are widespread with serious national impact:
- Almost 53 million people, including 300,000 children, live with the pain and disability of arthritis.
- Arthritis affects both the young and the elderly. Juvenile arthritis is one of the most common childhood diseases in the United States. Two-thirds of the people with doctor-diagnosed arthritis are under the age of 65.
- Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the country and costs the U.S. economy $128 billion annually.
- Half of all adults will develop symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee.
- In 2014, 140,000 people will visit their doctor due to arthritis-related issues.
- More than 3,750 arthritic joints will be replaced this year.
- 9,367 people will die in 2014 from arthritis and its complications.
For more information on participating in the CCCBT and supporting the work of the Arthritis Foundation, please visit www.CaliforniaCoastClassic.org. Register today for the ride of a lifetime! Your support will help fund arthritis research for a cure, advocacy, and programs to improve the lives of those with arthritis. Read more about the Arthritis Foundation at www.arthritis.org.
About the Arthritis Foundation
Striking one in every five adults and 300,000 children, arthritis is the nation’s leading cause of disability. The Arthritis Foundation is committed to raising awareness and reducing the impact of this serious disease, which can severely damage joints and rob people of living life to its fullest. The Foundation funds life-changing research that has restored mobility in patients for more than six decades; fights for health care policies that improve the lives of the millions who live with arthritis; and partners with families to provide empowering programs and information.