Denver, CO— February 11, 2013 — First Descents, a Denver-based non-profit providing free outdoor adventures to young adults fighting and surviving cancer, is inviting the public to participate in Team First Descents’ 4th Annual Climb-a-thon on March 2, 2013. The nationwide fundraiser will include climbing events in twelve different states.
In honor of the 70,000 young adults diagnosed with cancer each year, Team First Descents hopes to climb a total of 70,000 vertical feet during the one-day Climb-a-thon. A minimum of $25 will get climbers entrance into participating climbing gyms on March 2nd. The idea is to spend the day climbing for fun, raise funds and raise awareness of young adults with cancer. Participants are encouraged to tap their personal networks to help raise funds.
“While we love to get outside on the rocks during our First Descents climbing programs, this is the perfect time of year to take it inside at the gym and climb hard with friends for a good cause,” says First Descents director of marketing Rebekah Koenigbauer. “This is an excellent way to kick off our Team First Descents season of challenges. It’s great to know that for one Saturday, people all over the country will be climbing for the same important purpose.”
Participating Climb-a-thon locations:
• RockReation, Los Angeles, CA – 10am – 2pm
• Planet Granite, San Francisco, CA – 10am – 1pm
• Boulder Rock Club, Boulder, CO – 12pm – 3pm
• Rock’n and Jam’n, Denver, CO – 12pm – 4pm
• Stone Age Rock Gym, Manchester, CT – 11am – 2pm
• Climb Time Indy, Indianapolis, IN – 9am – 12pm
• Rock Spot Climbing, Boston, MA – 9am – 12pm
• Brooklyn Boulders, Brooklyn, NY – 11am- 2pm
• Inner Peaks, Charlotte, NC – 4pm – 7pm
• Triangle Rock Club, Raleigh, NC – 9am – 12pm
• Portland Rock Gym, Portland, OR – 11am – 2pm
• Go Vertical, Philadelphia, PA – 11:30am – 2:30pm
• Rock Spot Climbing, Lincoln, RI – 9am – 12pm
• Rock Spot Climbing, Peace Dale, RI – 9am – 12pm
• River Sports Outfitters, Knoxville, TN – 9am – 12pm
• Rockreation, Salt Lake City, UT – 9am – 12pm
• More locations TBA, please check http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2013/fd/climbathon/ for more information.
First Descents is a non-profit organization offering young adults with cancer a free week-long outdoor adventure experience designed to empower them to climb, paddle and surf beyond their diagnosis, defy their cancer, reclaim their lives and connect with others doing the same. www.FirstDescents.org