Strava, the online network connecting the global community of athletes, has introduced a redesigned mobile fitness app for millions of cyclists and runners worldwide. The new app combines Strava’s cycling and running apps into one while retaining its clean design and sport-‐specific layouts. It features an improved activity feed with new features to help members stay more connected to their friends on Strava. The app is now available in 11 languages with the addition of Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Traditional Chinese, making it easier to use for more athletes around the world.
"Our mission is to motivate athletes all over the world," said Alex Mather, vice president of product and user experience at Strava. "This latest mobile app brings Strava's unique social experience like beautiful maps, Instagram photos, and lots more to runners and cyclists everywhere."
The app’s activity feed includes the following new features, making Strava more social than ever:
• Photos – Photos taken during activities through Instagram are displayed in the feed, giving members the ability to visually share the story of their workout. Over one million Instagram photos have been shared since the feature was introduced to the strava.com activity feed in January 2013.
• Comments and Kudos – One-‐tap icons make it easy to give encouraging comments and recognize the achievements of friends with Kudos.
• Grouped activities -‐ Activities involving more than one member are grouped, showing which friends worked out together.
• Maps – Most activities feature a map tile showing the GPS-‐tracked route, adding additional context to friends’ activities in the feed.
• Social sharing -‐ A one-‐tap icon shares personal activities to other social networks including Facebook, Path and Twitter.
The Premium offering within the Strava app features enhanced real-time notifications. With this feature, audio updates are now delivered at the beginning, halfway point, and end of segments. The updates help members understand when they’ve started a segment, providing instant motivation during a workout.
For the first time, the app allows members to select the running shoes or bicycle used during an activity. Strava uses this information to automatically log the mileage associated with each piece of athletic gear, helping runners avoid injury and cyclists properly maintain individual bicycle components including tires, chains and brakes.
Pricing and availability
The Strava app, version 4.0, is available in the App Store and Google Play today. Strava’s mobile app is free and comes with the option of Premium membership that provides in-‐depth analytics, motivational tools like instant results, and member-‐ only rewards and benefits. Strava Premium membership is available for $6 USD per month or $59 per year.
Strava is the online network that connects the global community of athletes. Founded in 2009, millions of athletes have joined Strava for the competition and camaraderie found in tracking and sharing their fitness activities. The company’s free mobile apps and website help members discover and plan workouts, record and share activities, and analyze and compare performance. Strava’s ability to connect athletes around the world makes fitness a more social experience, providing extra motivation even when training alone. www.strava.com