Peak Design Re-Thinks the Modern Messenger Bag
Fully Funded in a Matter of Minutes, The Everyday Messenger is Already the Most Successful Campaign of its Category in the History of Kickstarter
San Francisco, CA (July 29, 2015) — Fully funded in less than 90 minutes after launch, Peak Design’s latest unveiling on Kickstarter is off to a record-breaking start. In less than 1 week, the company has crushed its funding goal, surpassing $1M in funds raised, and setting new Kickstarter category records in both “photography” and “bags” as the most successful campaign in the history of the crowdfunding platform.
For the company’s latest launch, Peak Design set an ambitious goal to completely re-think every function and design element of the modern messenger bag. Partnering with professional photographer Trey Ratcliff, the team obsessed for over a year to completely overhaul the classic messenger bag to a reception that has already been called “iconic” from Kickstarter itself. The result of this collaboration is a bag that is of universal appeal, with camera-specific functionality, but delivered in a novel format that maximizes capacity and versatility, and with a clean, classic aesthetic.
With the launch of The Everyday Messenger, Peak Design is celebrating both the company’s five-year anniversary and its fifth appearance on Kickstarter. As a company born, nurtured, and matured through crowdfunding, Peak Design has continually delivered meaningful innovation to stagnant product categories via the Kickstarter platform. To design The Everyday Messenger, Peak Design partnered with one of the world’s most acclaimed travel photographers, Trey Ratcliff, to integrate both photography and general travel expertise. “As a travel photographer, “I’ve used my fair share of bags but I’ve never found one that checks all the boxes,” Ratcliff says. Other than a camera, a bag is the most important tool a photographer brings along. This has been a major passion project — I've always wanted to build the perfect companion bag.”
Peak Design will be exhibiting at the upcoming Outdoor Retailer Summer Market, Booth # PV3361. Everyday Messenger will ship to Kickstarter backers before Christmas, and will be available for retail purchase in the December 2015 to January 2016 timeframe.
Follow the campaign at: pkdsn.com/ks
Beautiful, intelligent and adaptable, The Everyday Messenger™ is more than just an innovative camera bag. It’s giant leap for all of bag-kind. Designed for photographers, creatives, travelers, urbanites and everybody in-between.
The Everyday Messenger™ Characteristics:
- Brand new patent-pending MagLatch™ operates blindly, securely and with 1 hand.
- Origami-inspired FlexFold™ dividers are made of high-density foam, and fold/flex around camera gear, eliminating dead space found in traditional camera bags.
- Shell expands and contracts (13.5L to 20.5L) without losing shape.
- 2 dedicated Capture clip attachment points for fast exterior camera access.
- Front access panel allows fast external access to smaller accessories.
- Top zip allows latch-less access to main compartment.
- Converts from messenger bag to low-slung shoulder bag.
- Quick adjusting 2-inch padded tubular seatbelt-style strap.
- Removable waist strap for load distribution and stability.
- Optimized for all photography kits, up to a full-frame DSLR with 3 lenses and accessories.
- Equally optimized for everyday carry and use by non-photographers.
- Dedicated 13-15” laptop pocket with tablet/document sleeve.
- Color-coded internal pocket layout designed around photography workflow.
- 2 side pockets for quick access to water bottles and smartphones.
- Weather resistant waxed shell with high-density padding.
- Premium water resistant exterior zippers.
- Hypalon-reinforced and bar-tacked stress points.
- Lifetime warranty from Peak Design.
About Peak Design
Peak Design, one of most innovative and disruptive camera accessory brands in recent years, began as a professional-grade camera accessory brand dedicated to engineering thoughtful solutions to improve the way photographers transport and manage their cameras. Born out of a successful Kickstarter project in 2011, Peak Design has returned to crowdfunding 5 times to bring over 20 innovative, durable products to likeminded photographers and adventurers. The San Francisco based company now designs products not just for photographers, but also travelers, commuters and the creative class. For more information visit peakdesign.com.