MSR (Mountain Safety Research®), the Seattle-based manufacturer of standard-setting, high-performance outdoor equipment since 1969, today announced a complete redesign of the best-selling Hubba series tents. For the Spring/Summer 2014 season, MSR brings to market the new and improved Hubba NX tent collection—the next generation of the most livable, ultralight freestanding tents for 3-season backpacking environments.
The four new MSR Hubba NX series tents, ranging from one-person to four-person capacity, feature lighter weight fabrics and poles that reduce weight by up to 30%. Optimized pole geometries maximize interior space, allowing ample head and shoulder room throughout the tent, and the new color scheme of classic MSR red and light grey maximizes natural light within the tent, making the shelters a pleasant space to stay regardless of weather conditions.
“Since the MSR Hubba collection was first launched in 2004, the original series of three models has been a favorite among backpackers globally with nearly 200,000 units sold,” said Dale Karacostas, director of MSR Shelter. “Despite that success, it was time to take a look at the line and see how we could make this bestselling series even better. We focused on what our customers care about – lightweight livability. Undoubtedly the new Hubba NX tents are significantly improved and sure to become a new favorite among backpackers and trekkers worldwide.”
In classic MSR style, each new Hubba NX series tent features meticulous attention to detail, including a unified pole system and color-coded stakeout loops and clip-webbing for fast and easy setup. Large doors and vestibules provide easy access and lots of storage options, and an optional Hubba Gear Shed™ adds extra livability and storage. All Hubba NX series tents also feature mesh canopy windows and kickstand rainfly vents. The included side-loading compression stuff sacks make the tents as easy to pack as they are to set up.
MSR’s new 2014 Hubba NX collection includes the following new models:
- Hubba™ NX: At 1.12 kg (2 lb. 7 oz.),MSR’s best-selling, ultra-light freestanding solo tent is now .17 kg (6 oz.), or 13%, lighter than before. One full vestibule, large door, and increased floor area allow for greater livability with reduced weight.
- Hubba Hubba™ NX: At 1.54 kg (3 lb. 7 oz.), MSR’s best-selling freestanding two-person tent is now .29 kg (9 oz), or 15%, lighter than before. The two full vestibules and two doors allow for easy entry and plenty of protected gear storage. The Hubba Hubba NX received a prestigious OutDoor INDUSTRY AWARD at the OutDoor Friedrichshafen international trade show in July 2013.
- Mutha Hubba™ NX: At 2 kg (4 lb. 7 oz.), the recreated Mutha Hubba is 88kg (1 lb. 15 oz.), or 30%, lighter than the previous version yet offers all the space necessary for three-person livable comfort. Two full vestibules and two doors allow for easy entry and plenty of protected gear storage.
- Papa Hubba™ NX: The all-new, four-person addition to the Hubba Collection weighs in at 2.67 kg (5 lb. 15 oz.) and packs up as small as most two-person tents. The extremely livable Papa Hubba NX features plenty of room for a family of four, plus two large vestibules and two doors for easy entry and plenty of protected gear storage.
- Hubba™ Gear Shed™: The .78kg (1 lb. 12 oz.) Hubba Gear Shed, with hooped vestibule and partial floor, adds 2.46 square meters (26.5 square feet) of weatherproof, covered storage, providing double the storage space for basecamp or extended backcountry stays. Compatible with the Hubba NX and Hubba Hubba NX tents.
The new MSR Hubba NX tent collection debuts at the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market in Salt Lake City, Utah. The line will be available online and at retail stores in January 2014.
About MSR® (Mountain Safety Research®)
Seattle-based MSR has been engineering standard-setting high-performance outdoor equipment since 1969. A commitment to quality manufacturing and innovation ensures customers are outfitted with the finest, most reliable gear available for outdoor adventures. MSR product lines include: stoves, fuel, cookware, water treatment and hydration systems, shelters, snowshoes and backcountry poles. The majority of MSR products are made in the company’s Seattle, U.S.A. and Cork, Ireland manufacturing facilities. For more information, visit www.msrgear.com.