The 2019 Colorado Classic presented by VF Corporation will be more than a race, it will be a celebration of cycling fun in each of its four host communities –Steamboat Springs, Avon, Golden and Denver, August 22-25 –with free family-friendly events and a Bike and Lifestyle Expo on race days.
The race is bringing Open Streets Denver to the city on Sunday August 25 (from 10:45 am to 12:30 pm), a unique event where eight downtown city blocks will be closed to motor vehicles for nearly two hours but open to anyone and everyone to bike, scoot, walk, blade, run or hop through downtown without concern for automobile traffic. The main entrance for Open Streets Denver will be 22nd and Blake near the start/finish line of the Colorado Classic.
The Open Streets Denver route is part of the same course the pro women cyclists will ride later in the day, when the Colorado Classic has its final stage of racing starting at 1:30 pm. Participants of all ages and abilities in Open Streets Denver will be able to enjoy several activations along the way, including: A Drifter Trike Challenge Course, for kids and adults, presented by the Regional Air Quality Council (RAQC) Simple Steps for Better Air program; The Parklet presented by the Denver Streets Partnership, which transforms parking spaces into people spaces with a mini urban park; Bicycle Colorado, which will present a driver and rider education program; and the Denver Regional Council of Governments, which will distribute information on regional energy-saving and air quality transportation initiatives.
Mayor Michael Hancock will kick-off Open Streets Denver with his third annual Mayor’s Bike Parade on Sunday August 25 in Denver from 10:30 am - 10:45 am. Open to kids and families of all ages and abilities, this short ride will start under the Colorado Classic’s start/finish line arch at 21st and Blake and proceed along the Open Streets Denver route.
Colorado Classic Bike and Lifestyle Expo
The Colorado Classic Bike and Lifestyle Expo will be at each host location celebrating cycling, health, fitness, and women’s empowerment with exhibitors, Primal Official Race Merchandise store, big TV screens with live race action, a VF Corporation Stage with fun giveaways, and food and beverage experiences. The schedule and location for each Expo are:
- Steamboat Springs (August 22) - Meadows Parking Lot, 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Avon (August 23) - Nottingham Park, 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
- Golden (August 24) - Parfet Park, 9:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Denver (August 25) - Coors Field, 10:00 am - 4:30 pm
In Denver, headlining the Bike and Lifestyle Expo will be the VF Village, which will feature a multitude of fun activities, displays and games brought by VF Corporation brands such as The North Face, Smartwool, Altra, Vans, Eagle Creek, Jansport, Timberland, Dickies and Kipling. There will be everything from giveaways, to art walls, to BMX demos, and all sorts of fun for participants of all ages. In addition, there also will be other big activations from Gates Corporation, Nokian, Canyon and many more plus Papa John’s pizza, food trucks and beer from Michelob Ultra.
Other Notable Events
- Golden Women’s Community Ride – August 23, 5:30 pm, a community ride where everyone is invited. The ride will begin under the Arch and make a quick trip to Lion’s Park Ballfields where a free Movies and Music in the Park will start at 7 pm.
- Golden Movie Night - August 23, 7:00 pm, free in Lion’s Park, starting at dusk with music from the Sweet Lillies followed by a showing of Mary Poppins Returns under the stars, around 8:30 pm. A special guest from the Colorado Classic will introduce the film.
- Golden - Colorado Classic 5K Presented by Altra - August 24, 9:00 am, free fun run presented by Altra Footwear is for anyone, any age, any level of ability, starting next to the Colorado Classic start line (at 12th and Washington), running along the Clear Creek Trail and ending in Parfet Park where runners can enjoy Expo festivities. Race bibs can be picked up the morning of the race at the VIP tent next to the starting line. Participants can register here. Check-in starts at 8:15 am at the race tent on 12th and Washington.
- Avon - Free Concert featuring The Sweet Lillie’s - August 23, 1:00 pm - 2:45 pm in Nottingham Park
The Colorado Classic® presented by VF Corporation (Aug 22-25, 2019) is one of the premiere standalone pro women’s cycling races in the world. Nearly 100 of the world’s best racers from 16 teams will compete in the UCI 2.1 four-stage race, coursing through Steamboat Springs, Avon, Golden and Denver. More than a race, the Colorado Classic is a game-changing movement, advancing opportunity in women’s pro cycling with harder, longer routes; higher prize money; unprecedented team support; and daily live TV streaming coverage start-to-finish that puts women’s racing on a global stage like never before. Bicycling Magazine named the Colorado Classic one of 13 races in the world not to be missed this year.
About RPM Events Group
RPM Events Group LLC is a Colorado-based company committed to re-imagining professional cycling events while providing meaningful social and economic impact. The company owns and organizes the Colorado Classic presented by VF Corporation — a world-class women's pro road race August 22-25, 2019— the only UCI 2.1 women’s race in the Western Hemisphere and on the USA Cycling’s Pro Road Tour. www.rpmeventsgroup.com
About VF Corporation
VF Corporation outfits consumers around the world with its diverse portfolio of iconic outdoor and activity-based lifestyle and workwear brands, including Vans, The North Face, Timberland and Dickies. Founded in 1899, VF is one of the world’s largest apparel, footwear and accessories companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distribution channels. VF is committed to delivering innovative products to consumers and creating long-term value for its customers and shareholders. For more information, visit www.vfc.com